Switch of car accessories based on V

Scorp1us

Joined Dec 21, 2013
I have an always-on accessory in my lighter socket. But it keeps killing my battery if I don't run it every day. I was hoping I could use a simple circuit that would only work when the lighter is over 12V (meaning it 14V because the alternator is on)

I think I would just need a transistor and a resistor?

Many thanks!
PS. I tried to search for this, but I didn't even have a good idea what to google.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Depending on your car, you may be able to program the outlet to be keyed instead of battery-direct. My minivan offers that option.

Just about anything else you want to do to the vehicle will qualify as an automotive modification - a topic forbidden by the Terms of Service here.

I'm not sure how the mods will feel about it, but I think altering your ACCESSORY to auto-off on low voltage should be an OK topic. We had a low-battery auto-off thread here recently. Search a bit and you should find it very useful.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I just tried a TIP 120 circuit. Too much Vbe drop. This will have to be done with a relay (if you can't just "tell the car" to make it a "run only" outlet).

Zener, resistor, transistor as a switch, relay coil.

Scorp1us

Joined Dec 21, 2013
It varies, it is a dash cam, but supports a charging port for phones, which draws 1600ma when there is a phone plugged in, not including the dash cam.

Why I want this is so I don't have to modify my car at all. I want to put the circuit inline - actually in the line to the dash cam - and let the acc port work as it currently does, when I need to charge my phone in the car. So TOS should not be a problem, as this would go on the dash cam wire. :)

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Can you confirm what the lighter socket voltage actually is when the engine is running?
My prediction:

Engine running, > 14V
Engine stopped, < 13V

I have a circuit on my other computer using a TL431 driving a PFET as a high-side switch which would do this. I can post it later today...