Switch Adapted Toys

Graza82

Joined Oct 24, 2013
Hi guys,

Im wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction in finding an IC that would close multiple switches, one at a time in a random manor.

To clarify, my intention is to modify a toy for my 2 boys who have special needs.

I have a toy which is called "Scout". It has 4 switches, 1 on each hand and 1 on each foot. I have taken the internals out and this is what it looks like :

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2394/r8ga.jpg

So, as you can see, there are 4 pairs of wires which go to each switch on Scout.

What i want to do is make one large external button which when pressed will randomly close one of the switches. It doesnt really matter if its random or a set sequence.

I have no issues in creating circuits and PCB's etc. Im just wondering if anyone knows of an IC or a circuit diagram that i can use to carry out this small project.

I appreciate all your help guys. Thank You in advance.

Graza82

Joined Oct 24, 2013
Just thought I would mention that I will probably use transistors to close the switches, so I was thinking about some type of digital IC to supply the trans.

Thanks guys.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I second using the CD4017. Clock it rapidly and use the button to stop the counting. The count will be random.
I'm guessing the 4 switches have a common connection to ground (or to +V). Can you confirm that?

Graza82

Joined Oct 24, 2013
With only four switches, there might be a simpler way, but a CD4017 comes to mind.

Is this Scout?

What voltage does Scout run on?
Yes, that's the very toy I'm referring too.

Scout runs on 4.5v and yes, each switch has a common ground. I have t confirmed this to be honest but I would be 99% sure of it.

I will test this and return the results.

Thank you for the help so far guys. I'll download a data sheet for this IC and check it out.

ThAnks again.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Does the button in Scout's left foot turn him on and off, and is that one of the buttons you want to control? I don't understand why you would want to turn him on and off at random, but maybe I am missing something. Maybe if you said what functions you want to control with this one external button, we could make better suggestions.

Graza82

Joined Oct 24, 2013
Does the button in Scout's left foot turn him on and off, and is that one of the buttons you want to control? I don't understand why you would want to turn him on and off at random, but maybe I am missing something. Maybe if you said what functions you want to control with this one external button, we could make better suggestions.
Yes bud, your right. I only thought of this myself last night after looking at the picture you posted.

So, yes, only 3 of the 4 would be used and i would just add a separate switch for the on/off. Or, i could just reconnect the wiring and use his left foot for the on/off.

I had a quick look at the datasheet for the CD4017. Looks like i could simply connect the button to the Clock input and i would have a random output on selected pins?

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

Graza82

Joined Oct 24, 2013
Something based on this perhaps? A random one of outputs s1,s2,s3 is driven low when the button is pressed and released.
R1,C1 provide a button-switch debounce function. R2 limits current through the button switch when C1 charges.
Thank you, Alec. Circuit looks perfect.

I'll visit Maplin tomorrow and pick up the parts and get the soldering iron out :)

Thanks again, I appreciate the help a lot.

I'll keep you updated on how the project goes :)

Yes, Tracecom. Very worthwhile. My 2 sons have special needs and have difficulty activating toys normally. Looking online at switch adapted toys only surprised me at the rediculous prices for these particular toys. RRP doubled just because a phono socket has been spliced into a switch is nuts.

I'll defo keep you updated :))