Surprise-surprise

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Temperature 55 F, broken clouds, 1:14 PM; for only 4th time this year solar panels hit 5.1 kW, & on first day of winter. Max design output rated at 5.5 kW [ June 20 th, 12:30 PM, 50 deg F & luck ]. System can supply 100% of electric load if properly managed. In Nov. tried to sneak in some electric heat and had to pay a $ 20 electric bill, normal bill is $ 7.

Lundwall_Paul

Joined Oct 18, 2011
I have wanted to add solar power to my home, but the price has stopped me. My power bill runs about $ 150/mo. May I ask what you paid for the parts? I assume that this was a DIY project.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
It is an on grid, 20 yr leased system. When the price came down to two dollars per W, I decided it was time to jump in. Rather tham mo payments, I paid it off in a lump sum. Payout expected in about 10 years & after 9 mo seems to be on track. Unexpectedly, electric co paid $ .03 for remaining 1000 kWh surplus at end of October when slate was wiped clean.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It is an on grid, 20 yr leased system. When the price came down to two dollars per W, I decided it was time to jump in. Rather tham mo payments, I paid it off in a lump sum. Payout expected in about 10 years & after 9 mo seems to be on track. Unexpectedly, electric co paid $ .03 for remaining 1000 kWh surplus at end of October when slate was wiped clean.

I guess it is a huge advantage living in Tuscon. :)

I'm confused, the panels paid for themselves in 4 years as opposed to 10?

Selling back to the power company is how friends of mine decieded to go. Saves a ton on batteries.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Still expect payback in about ten years; do not know where 4 y came from?
From the way I read it you have been using the system for 4 years and "Unexpectedly, electric co paid $ .03 for remaining 1000 kWh surplus at end of October when slate was wiped clean. "