surge protector help required


Joined Jan 20, 2007
You do get them, but you can build your own.

MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) is used commonly for surge protection. The bigger in size they are the more surge power they can absorb, but the slower they also get.

From Live to Neutral and Live to Earth, and from Earth to Neutral. Add a circuit breaker that can trip if the MOV goes short circuit, it does happen.

Then add an inductor in series with the Live and one in series with the Neutral, Earth goes right through, then repeat the MOV triangle.

Note that nothing can protect from a direct lightning strike. Use 250V AC MOV's