Surface mounted ribbon male/female connector - need to make "extension" if possible.

Serpico

Joined Sep 8, 2012
Hello, thank you for taking the time to take a look at this. I need to create an "extension" cable between the following male/female connectors. They are the connectors of a smartphone camera module and the MB.

Admittedly, I am a novice so forgive my ignorance. My final goal is to extend the camera module to about 8" from the MB of the smartphone. Currently (OEM) it is approximately .25" from the MB. The smartphone is an LG Revolution (Verizon LTE) if that helps.

Is there such a cable that can be purchased or ordered?

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Wow......that is a real little beast.......I'm going on view here........is the actual ribbon 17 leads ? and how does the "pigtail" ribbon attach to the camera board...

There are a number of ways to skin the proverbial cat, can you put up a couple more detailed pictures ??.........how are your soldering skills :D

No promises, but I have made some parts along this line before

Serpico

Joined Sep 8, 2012
Hi PackratKing, thanks for the response. It looks like the terminating end of the ribbon is sealed into the camera optics "box".

I found a tech service manual for this particular phone and it is simply referred to as the "34 pin Main Camera Connector". I was able to dig up the part number is "GB042-34S-H10-E3000" which when googled appears to be available in china (I think). I was hoping to find an "extension" with a male on one end, and female on the other to simply "plug and play". I have soldered before but nothing like this - practically nano sized.

Link to product PDF: link

What are you're thoughts?

Last edited:

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
:eek: checked your pix -- dang !! That thing is tiny --

Look closer at the actual ribbon betwixt the optics box, and the connector.........I am seeing a half-width latticework, and only 8 other ribbons of various witdths that would serve as conductors.........so maybe not all of those 34 connectors are even used ? Determining which are actually used in that case would be a challenge......... a plan of attack to fabricate an extension will be based on that info.

your source of spare parts looks promising tho'

Serpico

Joined Sep 8, 2012
Lol yes it will certainly be a challenge!! My hopes for finding a pre-manuf'd extension are dashed as it appears LG uses these parts almost exclusively.

Thanks for the input and help tho! Cheers!!