Surface mount IC to dual inline converter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by naila86, Nov 6, 2012.

  1. naila86

    Thread Starter New Member

    Dec 13, 2010
  2. tracecom

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 16, 2010
    The socket you referenced will not work for your purpose.

    What you want is usually called a "breakout board" and consists of a tiny PCB upon which the SMD is mounted plus provision for connection to another board. Here is an example of a breakout board for SOIC to DIP that I have recently ordered.

    It looks like it might work for you; check the datasheet of your IC carefully and compare it to the PCB shown.
  3. Audioguru

    AAC Fanatic!

    Dec 20, 2007
    When I added a new processor to my first computer the original 486/20 processor chip was a DIP in a DIP socket. The replacement 486/66 was a surface-mount IC on a pcb 'breakout board" with pins that matched the pins on the original. The new IC had many of the improvements of a Pentium plus more than 3 times the speed of the original processor.
  4. mcgyvr

    AAC Fanatic!

    Oct 15, 2009