Supercap AA batteries

kbaegis

Joined Feb 23, 2009
I've seen some very cool work done with supercaps used to replace D cell batteries.

I was wondering what I would need to replace my laptop battery and AA batteries with supercaps. It seems like it would be an obvious solution that there would be clear demand for, and yet I haven't seen a single company producing DC AA format batteries. Did the entire industry drop the ball on this new tech, or is there an unseen limiting force? Can't you run a series of supercaps at lower voltages to extend the duration of the charge?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
No.

Batteries maintain their voltage until they are nearly discharged.

Capacitors rapidly discharge as soon as a load is applied.

They are very different animals.

kbaegis

Joined Feb 23, 2009
Would it be easy for the people fabricating them to break them into, for example, thousands of individual discs, run them in a series, and put a small controller on the bottom?

italo

Joined Nov 20, 2005
Whether you believe it or not some items have that incorporated into it the reason being that some devices draw very little power to operate. So it is feasable to add a super cap to augument the battery capacity the downfall is if it takes to long before power comes on the same aid is defeating the purpose since the recharge can be a very long long time