Super newbie, how to figure out the function of a circuit?

Bhisca

Joined Nov 8, 2021
Hello, I just started my systems architecture course. It mostly deals with the main hardware components and software, but the teacher also gave us a little bit of electronic circuits info. He gave us 4 circuits and a simulator and the task to recreate them and figure out their function. Unfortunately, with the info he provided us so far I can't really figure it out. For the first 3 circuits I managed to find some similar looking ones, bridge rectifier, voltage amplifier and voltage regulator (for the first two I am 100% sure I got them right, last one 99%). I just can't figure out the last one, I'd really appreciate if you could guide me somewhere on this website where I could find some more info, or give me some tips. Thank you.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I just can't figure out the last one, I'd really appreciate if you could guide me somewhere on this website where I could find some more info, or give me some tips.
What do you think it is?

Is that the way your instructor drew the schematic? Or were you given a well drawn schematic and made a conscious decision to make it harder to read?

circuit4.jpg

Bhisca

Joined Nov 8, 2021
Welcome to AAC!
What do you think it is?

Is that the way your instructor drew the schematic? Or were you given a well drawn schematic and made a conscious decision to make it harder to read?

View attachment 252200
Hey, thanks for the reply! This is exactly how the schematic I was given to put in the simulator looks, I just copied it. Like I said, I don't have enough knowledge yet (the only info I got so far is what diodes are, if that's supposed to help me figure it out I'm not sure how). I don't have the slightest clue what this circuit might do, I haven't found any that looked even close to it. I'm guessing that the voltmeter and ammeter readings should give me a clue (that's how I figured out the voltage regulator one).

boostbuck

Joined Oct 5, 2017
If you turn T5 and T6 around on the drawing then the signal flow is left-to-right, as it should be, and you will be able to find many similar circuits on the web. It's a very common configuration.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have a guess, please let me know if it is right: operational amplifier.
No. An operational amplifier has a differential input (except for Norton opamps) and usually has 3 stages. The circuit you have is sometimes used with an opamp though.

This is exactly how the schematic I was given to put in the simulator looks, I just copied it.
How sad. Your instructor didn't know enough to draw the circuit conventionally so function could be determined with a glance. If you're not an EE major, there's no need for him/her to try to confuse you.

Last edited: