Suggestions?

DerkGates

Joined Jun 11, 2011
I'm wondering if someone could help me with some suggestions?

I have Muscular Dystrophy and I'm in need of some kind of USB joystick. The primary requirement is that the joystick be almost effortless to move. This requirement seems to be the most difficult. Thanks!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I wish I had a better answer then this: I would start with a standard off the shelf game controller, pop it open and see how it works mechanically. There are usually springs to pull it back to center, and perhaps these could be removed or changed to meet your needs.

Beyond that, maybe we could all group together and come up with a better solution for you. Off the top of my head say several light sensors that you just have to cover to make the input change. Can you describe what you are doing and together perhaps we can design something better then a joystick?

Sorry to see your thread not getting the love it deserves!

DerkGates

Joined Jun 11, 2011
I wish I had a better answer then this: I would start with a standard off the shelf game controller, pop it open and see how it works mechanically. There are usually springs to pull it back to center, and perhaps these could be removed or changed to meet your needs.

Beyond that, maybe we could all group together and come up with a better solution for you. Off the top of my head say several light sensors that you just have to cover to make the input change. Can you describe what you are doing and together perhaps we can design something better then a joystick?

Sorry to see your thread not getting the love it deserves!
First, thanks for the reply!

Here's some background on how my chair works:

Take a look at page 167 of the following PDF:

http://www.sunrisemedical.com/xml/na_web/completepartsmanual_quickie_rhythmsnprertm.pdf

The joystick controller is #1 in the diagram.

On my chair I have a 6"x4" 'platform' that has a hole that the joystick comes up through. Basically I rest the weight of my hand on the platform and control the chair was two fingers on the joystick. The joystick does auto center, but the resistance is almost nothing. I'm explaining about my chair because this is also how I control the mouse cursor on my PC.

The chair has an "Enhanced Display" #5 on the diagram.

On the driver side the display shows the state and mode of the chair. Things like battery charge, operation modes, seating tilt, etc. On the backside of the display it has an infrared transmitter. With this I can control infrared devices like TV, stereo, Blu-ray player, etc. and more importantly the mouse cursor on my PC. All of this can be done without moving my arm.

I'm basically trying to accomplish the mouse cursor functionality while in bed. Your micro joystick looks promising if the resistance isn't too great. If "we" could come up with a functional and reasonably priced device it could probably be marketed to distributors of special needs devices.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Did I find the right parts? Here is what I found on that page:

Looks like there is a joystick module, one box is the controller, two cables, one to the small joystick (it THAT it?) and the other to a connector.

That connector looks to me to be a "DB9" meaning it is a serial cable and not a USB. Either way is fine as a joystick, with an advantage to USB as it is what most computers have today (serial is going or gone extinct).

Will this controller connect to you computer or to your chair? Or both?

Also you mention the display you have, is that part of this project too?

If "we" could come up with a functional and reasonably priced device it could probably be marketed to distributors of special needs devices.
Oh cool then we makes lots of the monies!

But even making just one for your use is also a good thing. ;)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'm not quite clear what this is for. I thought initially that you wanted to use the joystick as a mouse, but then you said that you're already doing that. Are you wanting a low-resistance joystick for gaming?

In case I misunderstood something, here's some software I found for using any usb joystick as a mouse: http://www.imgpresents.com/imgfaq.htm?category=Common&type=Question/Answer&product=Joystick-To-Mouse

EDIT: ok, I re-read your post and I get it now. If you use that software in conjunction with a low-resistance gaming joystick, you should be able to do that in bed. now, if only you could find a low-resistance gaming joystick. Maybe hit up a gaming forum and ask the guys for a reccommendation.