Suggestions

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
1. Add a classified section for people to swap/trade/buy/sell equipment.
2. Give us some Shwag! May be a logo embroidered hat, shirt, mouse pad, pocket protector, etc... I'm sure for minimal $ you could print us up some stuff to wear and let our geek shine! And we could all help pay the server bill with the profits.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
1. Maybe, but how do you keep the spammers out? They already love us (or try to).

2. This is a free site with no advertising (which puzzles me, but I like it). Someone would have to front the money, which would be a gamble.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
1. Maybe, but how do you keep the spammers out? They already love us (or try to).

2. This is a free site with no advertising (which puzzles me, but I like it). Someone would have to front the money, which would be a gamble.
I have a couple suggestions.

1. You could make a good guy list. This is a cheap form of feedback. Make everyone go through ebay or site like it. I'm sure there would be a plug in for your forum that would allow feedback. You could limit it to trades only or items worth $100 or less. In the end you can't stop them all but with proper precautions I think the benefits to everyone would far out weight the few scammers that get by. I know if I have extra stuff I don't care about and would virtually give away to the right person other do to.

2. Or possibly you could goto a per unit company. Where you would upload your design, then when someone ordered it and paid for it, they would print it and ship it. These prices are pretty high but if you didn't care about profits you could get them for $15-$20 each. Then for publicity you could have people that wanted to pay for help buy shirts and give them away instead of cash. Then you would get publicity, people would get a shirt, and some student or young start up would get help.

Just a couple thoughts I was pondering.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Let's keep the site free of advertising. It is one of the few sites like that, and I appreciate it. I find banners and what not extremely distracting. A forum supporter (i.e., donations) category might be something to consider. I would prefer that to be anonymous, however. Maybe give some Shwag to the donors :D

As for Shwag, that is a new word for me. I don't think a cap with AAC on it will be a girl magnet.

John

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
As for Shwag, that is a new word for me.
Here is the actual story and history of the word. Back in the late 80's hippies and deadheads would use 2 words to describe somethings quality. Dank ='ed great, Shwag ='ed bad. This went on for a decade underground till Jay Leno did a skit on TV with a hippie that reviewed movies. Well the hippie would refer to movies as being dank or good, vs bad or shwaggy. This was a pretty big hit for the normal people not in the folds so marketing people tried to continue to use the word and its meaning evolved. Today the literal translation would be shwag = crap = hats, shirts, coffie mugs, etc.... Its actually pretty mainstream now.