Suggestions on voltage to current/frequency conversion

lordofentropy

Joined Apr 10, 2010
So I have this encoder (MCD-AV002-0012-S060-PAM) that gives a voltage output of 0-10 VDC. 2mV increment/decrement value when position changes. However, this guy is located ~80-100 feet away from where well, everything else is going to be (MCU, control circuitry, etc.). The way I figure it, there is no way that voltage signal is going to make it. So I need to make it so that it does.

I was thinking possibly a voltage to frequency IC? (LM331?, will I need to amplify magnitude? if so, w/ what?)
A voltage to current, i.e. XTR111? (Anyone used these guys before?)
Or even some sort of transconductance amplifier? (anyone try this or even have some ones they recommend?)

Attachments

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
So I have this encoder (MCD-AV002-0012-S060-PAM) that gives a voltage output of 0-10 VDC. 2mV increment/decrement value when position changes. However, this guy is located ~80-100 feet away from where well, everything else is going to be (MCU, control circuitry, etc.). The way I figure it, there is no way that voltage signal is going to make it. So I need to make it so that it does.

I was thinking possibly a voltage to frequency IC? (LM331?, will I need to amplify magnitude? if so, w/ what?)
A voltage to current, i.e. XTR111? (Anyone used these guys before?)
Or even some sort of transconductance amplifier? (anyone try this or even have some ones they recommend?)
Personally, I'd go with the voltage to frequency converter. I've used the LM331, and I like it. The best part about making the signal digital is that interference(within tolerance) will not affect your result. If interference is on the same magnitude of your signal, you could always switch to a twisted wire pair and use differential signalling...

lordofentropy

Joined Apr 10, 2010
Personally, I'd go with the voltage to frequency converter. I've used the LM331, and I like it. The best part about making the signal digital is that interference(within tolerance) will not affect your result. If interference is on the same magnitude of your signal, you could always switch to a twisted wire pair and use differential signalling...

Ok, is the circuit in figure 15 of the datasheet accurate? That is, since you have used the LM331 did you have to make any adjustments straying away from the recommended circuit?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
From what I remember, yes, it was pretty straight forward... I probably would have different memories regarding the use of the LM331 otherwise....