Suggestions for Hiring Skill for New Product Development

boingaon

Joined May 15, 2012
Hello,

My name is Preston and I'm an engineering student and inventor in Arizona. I am developing a new electro-mechanical consumer product and am asking advice from everyone I can as to what the best way to find freelancers.

My product needs the following skill sets:

• Microcontroller selection & programming

• PCB designed & ready for one-off production at Advanced Circuits

• Knowledge of MIDI protocol (mechanics move based on MIDI byte stream)

• Audio stream analysis

• Circuit design supporting high current-draw actuators + one speaker.

• Web app that allows users to make their own programs & send to device via USB (desktop widget would likely need to bridge gap between browser and USB)
I'm trying to figure out what the title/profession the people I need would be. "Web app developer", "electrical engineer", and "embedded systems" spring to mind.

Second, money is a factor so I want to get the most bang for my buck. Would a freelancer website be a good place? How hard is it to work with a foreign employee?

Thanks

Preston

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
An electrical engineer can do most of this from what they're taught.. I can do all of it from personal interests and self-teaching (don't ask, I cost too much for you ;))

Try to find someone in the field of electrical engineering with a propensity for web development and is willing to learn the MIDI format...

boingaon

Joined May 15, 2012
Do you get much work tshuck?

Anyways, I have found some people on freelancer.com that have some impressive skill sets and good reviews. They also charge reasonably. Many of these people live outside of the United States, but sound like a large of them communicate in English well.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Do you get much work tshuck?

Anyways, I have found some people on freelancer.com that have some impressive skill sets and good reviews. They also charge reasonably. Many of these people live outside of the United States, but sound like a large of them communicate in English well.
I've always got something to do... I'm here as a break from all that!:p

I'd be wary of going overseas... Notice how many people we get from India asking very basic EE questions when they are a fourth year at university?

boingaon

Joined May 15, 2012
Assuming the reviews for a service provider are accurate and positive, would you still avoid giving those people a try?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Assuming the reviews for a service provider are accurate and positive, would you still avoid giving those people a try?
Me personally? I'd avoid them. One, because I think i could do a better job:p

Additionally, I would think it would be too hard to work with someone that you can't talk to in person. Don't get me wrong, you can, but I think it is just harder... especially when you have to wait a day to hear back from them....

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I believe the results of your efforts will be less than you can tolerate and will cost more than you have. IMHO the only way to approach what you are doing is to start a company, write a business plan, and offer a share to the folks who do the work. Of not course not everyone can do this.

On this forum there has been a long history of people asking the exact same question. The funny thing is that I'm not aware of any of these requests that have had a positive outcome. I put it to the members, are there any examples of work for hire that turned out positively as a result of a post on this forum?