Suggestion on Motor driver like L293D with smaller foot print.

mkakasapu

Joined Apr 9, 2020
Hi All,

I am very very new(bie) to electronics. Till now I have experienced Ardunio and ESP. Now I want to build a small board with basic chips to run a very small motor (but runs on 12v). I like L293D for its simplicity. But the chip size is to big for my board (8mm wide) and I also have other parts.
My question is there any SMD version on this chip? or any other chip as simple as this to connect to?
Or Is there any alternative (SMD) chip which work like this? I also do not mind if the chip can only run one motor.

(Bought IR2111 IC. I read somewhere it can used to drive motor but it is very complex for me to use. So I dropped the idea of using it)

Thank you,
MK

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't know if what you are looking for exists. You should know that every available chip in every available package represents a set of compromises. Just because something you want seems like a good idea doesn't mean that it is a good idea or that someone else has invested substantial resources in bringing it to market. You keep looking and adjust your expectations according to what you find.

mkakasapu

Joined Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for reply. I don't mean to expect to find it. (May be WANT implies that). But this will be the first step on finding it. As I hoped that on this forum someone may (or may not) already know what I am looking for. If that is confirmed, I will use the new chip or find alternative ways (may be L293D) to do it (as you suggested). This does not also mean I solely depends on forum. I am also doing my research as my knowledge allows.

On the question, I saw very small chips on toys. I just want to know if something like available. They could be their own proprietary chips but hope to find similar..

Thanks again

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thanks for reply. I don't mean to expect to find it. (May be WANT implies that). But this will be the first step on finding it. As I hoped that on this forum someone may (or may not) already know what I am looking for. If that is confirmed, I will use the new chip or find alternative ways (may be L293D) to do it (as you suggested). This does not also mean I solely depends on forum. I am also doing my research as my knowledge allows.

On the question, I saw very small chips on toys. I just want to know if something like available. They could be their own proprietary chips but hope to find similar..

Thanks again
I never implied that you did or did not do any particular thing. I was trying to adjust your expectations with respect to finding a particular solution to you particular requirements which were only approximately described. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you abandon the effort and move on. Both outcomes and others are certainly possible.

Last edited: