Suggestion for DPDT Relay?

Lilian23

Joined Oct 7, 2008
Hi guys and gals,

I would like to know if any of you could recommend a high voltage relay that could withstand connection up to 800V and 1A? The application for this is to relay different drain voltage between two different high voltage Mosfets. I've tried few distributors that I know but couldn't find anything helpful, just huge things for industry sized stuff and this is just something intended for a board to test Mosfets. At this point I don't care if it's not even DPDT.

Hope someone here has used something and can share their knowledge. Thank you

Lili

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Is this 800v contact rating or coil voltage?
Panasonic make some small relays that will switch 1kv at 20A, HE-V type, under 2" square.
The coil comes in 6v up to 24vdc.
Max.

Lilian23

Joined Oct 7, 2008
Hi Max

It's contact for it's the drain voltage being relayed. This is fantastic you know of this part! Thanks for providing the info, I will look for it online on Digikey or something when I can.

What does HE-V type mean?

thanks again :)

Lili

Here's an off-the-shelf idea for you...take a standard multiple pole relay and series the contacts. The point being the contact gap has just increased by the magnitude of the number of poles you connect together. This is done on DC3 circuits where the contact arcing ceases when the contact gap grows wider and wider. Its worth a try...just make sure the individual contact amp rating will handle your load. If contact arcing still occurs, try a 1000 VDC Quencharc across the contacts.(these are commercially available devices from Newark Elex.)

Cheers, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]