Suggested Iron for soldering a tphr9003nl ? wattage and temp?

MaliciousSyns

Joined Feb 22, 2022
I have attached the data sheet. I was looking at a 30w 700F weller with a fine point or conal tip. I have been out of the soldering game for a few years and my new job, due to prior experience, has be soldering these to fix broken machines. I saw in another thread to look at the data sheet for the soldering information but alas im not sure where the info im looking for is in the datasheet. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

Soldering irons and stations are one of those "religious" issues, like computer languages so you are likely to hear a lot of apparently conflicting advice. But actually, the argument is usually over fine details and can be understood as people violently in agreement with each other.

A couple questions to help understand your needs.

Will this be at a bench or for portable use?
Do you have a budget?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Portable use. Budget isn't really a concern.
Well, then I would suggest two directions. The first is a Hakko self-contained iron. It's completely portable, self-contained, temperature controlled, and with enough power to do larger jobs. It also uses Hakko tips, of course.

The second is quite a different direction. It's an open source soldering iron that uses integral heater tips (better than over the heater) and can be powered by a battery for real portability. This one is USB C which is nice. The older models (search for TS-100) used coaxial connectors and have adapters for LiPo RC packs to make then completely portable.

These irons can use top quality tips, heat fast, and are more portable that anything else I know. You can find YouTube videos that will help you under stand them better, but they are definitely worth considering.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It depends on the volume and range of electronic work you plan on doing in the future.
Here are four recommendations for four different purposes.

1) A general purpose DIY 35W iron available at most hardware stores $5-$25.
2) A very fine tip temperature controlled iron station for SMD work (which is what you will need for the component stated) $50-$200.
3) A general purpose regular sized tip temperature controlled station for through-hole and larger joints such as power components and connectors. $50-$200. You can change the soldering tip to cover (2).
4) A higher power soldering gun 100-200W for heavy duty DIY work. $40-$60.

MaliciousSyns

Joined Feb 22, 2022
Just out of curiousity, what would be a solid station? i like the product as ive been looking through i would assume something of the same specs just in a station?

MaliciousSyns

Joined Feb 22, 2022
Thanks also Mr Chips you answered the question i posted without noticing the comment i apologize. I have a few miners to fix and being i have background in electronics im getting back into this for the employer and i think a station would make more sense idealistically.

MaliciousSyns

Joined Feb 22, 2022
Option 3 looks VERY appealing, currently my project is 50+ s19 Antminers with bad mosfets due to "weather" inside a container. Considering the other components i could possibly be fixing outside of the mosfets the 3rd option looks great. Any station suggestion would be much appreciated but would want quality of course considering the environment. Thank you!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Option 3 looks VERY appealing, currently my project is 50+ s19 Antminers with bad mosfets due to "weather" inside a container. Considering the other components i could possibly be fixing outside of the mosfets the 3rd option looks great. Any station suggestion would be much appreciated but would want quality of course considering the environment. Thank you!
A Pace, Hakko, or JBC station would be good. But it will not very portable and the TS irons that I mentioned use the heater tips those irons do.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I cannot recommend a brand because I have no bias.

An inexpensive DIY soldering iron (option 1) might look something like this:
1645564931891.png

A temperature controlled station (with or without temperature readout) might look like this:
1645565030975.png
It would appear that you are heading towards a quality station. The option with or without temperature readout would be your choice.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Soldering tweezers (dual movable tips) might be better; you can heat both rows of legs at the same time. I've been fortunate to use Weller tweezers, but there are cheaper options, like this:
https://www.banggood.com/YIHUA-938D...-or-220V-for-BGA-SMD-Repairing-p-1122646.html
I'm not sure what the best portable option would be. The analog Hakko-style controllers seem to need 24V AC. Maybe just buy the tweezers and run them open-loop, powered from an 18V tool battery with a PWM dimmer/speed control to adjust the power.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313625352404
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185209228634

Last edited: