Suggest me an idea

ecjohnny

Joined Jul 16, 2005
please can anyone suggest me some solutions or ways i can solve this preferably cheap and efficient.

i need a device/something that will detect a person GOING OUT ONLY(door).
i mean i want a device/something that will sense or ... a person going out and the person is restricted to only the house owner.

An example would explain better:
1st: House owner is in the house. His friend pay him a visit then left.
* i dont want to detect his friend leaving.
2nd: House owner is in the house. His friend pay him a visit. Both of them left together.
* Here i want to detect the owner going out.
3rd: house owner leaves house.
*Here i want to detect the owner going out.

The device will send a signal to my computer via ???
i am doing a home monitoring project. Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You say computer system at office,I think there are system's that you can
watch who is coming and going.You are at the office,but you go home the
computer system will save the information.You play back the system and you can
who is coming and going,if you are not monitoring the alarm will page you.You say
money no problem. Check out computer system's I'm sure you will find some thing.
I watched my car being stolen by computer after I could not find my car in parking
space. reply LOOSEWIRE

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
RFID tags are small and light. They could be worn around the neck or on the wrist along with Medic Alert tags. They would require a reader at each exit.

The challenge would be to position the reader so it detects an actual exit, and not merely proximity to the door.

A.T.T.R

Joined Jun 2, 2008
Rfid to determin who is near the door
then two light sensors with a trip lighton other side to determin direction of travel
or possiably two or three motion detectors to determin direction

ecjohnny

Joined Jul 16, 2005
RFID tags are small and light. They could be worn around the neck or on the wrist along with Medic Alert tags. They would require a reader at each exit.

The challenge would be to position the reader so it detects an actual exit, and not merely proximity to the door.
can you explained further? can i buy this thing? or will i have to make/program it myself?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Cheap.... efficient... simple...?

A magnet in all his shoes heel. Two simple wide coils sewn under carpets by the exits.

The inner coil disturbance sensor will arm and the outer will trigger. Won't do anything in reverse.

Similar to the traffic light vehicle coils sensors embedded in the pavement.
Of course won't work if the elderly sneaks out barefoot or knows magnets are concealed in the shoes.:rolleyes:

I will leave the computer part to experts...

Miguel

Last edited:

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I like Externet's idea. Not sure how to keep from tracking one resident leaving another resident's house, though. Is there any way to distinguish between different magnets with such a system?

ecjohnny

Joined Jul 16, 2005
You can buy them. They come as badges, keyring fobs, paper-thin stickers, or wallet-compatible cards. The readers are boxes hanging on the wall or supported by a post, or hand-held scanners. Interfacing depends on manufacturer and intended use, but much literature is available.

"RFID" = "radio frequency identification."

Here's one website devoted to RFID: http://www.rfidjournal.com/?gclid=CIih2P3x3pMCFR4vagod2yfIVQ

thanks.. i think this will work but is the RFID reader just a receiver? can i connect a RF transmitter to it to send the trigger to another RF receiver ? or my computer.(VB program)
sorry about any noob question but i am new to this thing.

Last edited: