SUCCESS STORIES: Yamaha Keyboard P-95 sound problem (speakers & headphones)

Kasaman

Joined Jun 13, 2019
Hello all, first I want to thank you for your answers and I just wabt to say that my english is not very good.

I recently came across the same issue (speaker, headphone not working and a click 4 second after turning the piano ON)

I ordered 20x capacitor (16v 100uf) to change the C216 and c217 but the problem persisted.

After reading more answer I decided to replacing the capacitor c408 (I choose it randomly) and after after replacing it the speakers started working !!!

So if anyone has the problem persisting after changing c216 and c217 just test the other capacitor with a multimeter and try changing them !!

One more time thank you all, thanks to you I fixed my keyboard for only 15€.

jake1032

Joined Apr 25, 2019
Hello all, first I want to thank you for your answers and I just wabt to say that my english is not very good.

I recently came across the same issue (speaker, headphone not working and a click 4 second after turning the piano ON)

I ordered 20x capacitor (16v 100uf) to change the C216 and c217 but the problem persisted.

After reading more answer I decided to replacing the capacitor c408 (I choose it randomly) and after after replacing it the speakers started working !!!

So if anyone has the problem persisting after changing c216 and c217 just test the other capacitor with a multimeter and try changing them !!

One more time thank you all, thanks to you I fixed my keyboard for only 15€.
I replaced C216 and C217: no joy. I replaced C408 and the keyboard is fixed! Thank you very much!
I discovered AAC through this thread and I am impressed with the kindness and the will to help I’ve found.

parkwhf

Joined Jul 11, 2018
Hi again, just wanted to report that I followed what mbrenco and Kasaman said earlier in the thread, testing the resistance of each capacitor with the multimeter for short circuits. Found that C112 was the faulty capacitor, and the keyboard is now in good working condition!

Thanks to everybody for their help in resolving this issue!

solowiej

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Another happy troubleshooter thanks to this forum! My C216 and C217 were ok, but one of the C400's was bad. Found a 100pf cap at the local Surplus City for 10 cents, and our P95 Keyboard is fully working now!

Timbo88

Joined Dec 9, 2019
Hello again,
I finally replaced the electrolytic capacitor and the keyboard started working again!.
Trying to figure if it was a problem with the headphones board, or a security meassure on the main CPU (which was unlikely, as the way that the CPU has handle this is to open the relay that controls the speaker input, and I could hear it closing each time I turned the keyboard on), and because unpluging the board actually triggers said meassure and opens the relay, I desolder these 2 capacitors to open the headphone circuit.
Awesome I just need to know where I can buy these capacitors from? Any advice? I'm in Australia

jmacres

Joined Dec 28, 2019
I had the same issue on my P95 (no audio from the Speakers or Headphones). I followed this advice and jumpered HPSW to GND. I did the following:
  1. Removed the ribbon cable between the AM and HP boards - I removed it from the HP end.
  2. Inserted a small wire between pins 5 and 6 on the ribbon connector from the AM board to the HP board (on the HP end of the connector cable)
  3. This allows the speaker to work perfectly.

I'll be replacing C216 and C217 once the parts arrive from Digi-Key. Until then I can enjoy some sound from the keyboard! (but damn, there's a lot of screws holding the top and bottom together!)

----
Hello GermanCoca,

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOO much. I had the same problem and solved it with a single shot, thanks to your experience.

I would like to add a small contribution. To test whether the problem is on the headphone path, it is easier just to disconnect the HP board completely and connect HPSW node to GND on AM board, instead of desoldering C217 and C216. If the problem is the same, the speakers should start working.

I am curious if this is just a coincidence that among all other capacitors, the same were problematic in both cases. Here is the only misuse I can think of: I recently bought a sennheiser hd558 headphone whose cable can be detached from its speaker. When I was using my piano I used 3m cable and when listening to music, I switched to 1.2 m cable while leaving the 3m cable on piano, with its other end open. I touched that open end many times when I switched from playing on the piano and listening to the music. Do you guys have any idea if this could cause the harm mentioned above?

Thanks again GermanCoca!

none2k

Joined Feb 4, 2020
Thanks for all the instructions on this message board!
My problem: After two years of non-use, there's no sound from speakers nor headphones on my Yamaha P95b.
Solution: Switched out capacitors (16V 100uF) C112, C216, C217, C404 and C408 on the AM board. I didn't diagnose to check if they were faulty or not.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I wonder about what brand the capacitors causing the problem are. My main source of capacitor problems was from the "Rubycon" brand devices. What has been the experience of other folks, I wonder.

JURECKI

Joined Mar 14, 2020
Same problem with Yamaha P95, (2012 production) no sound from speakers or headphones ( only led lights are on and operational ) after changing C216 cap P95 is working again the only problem I have now is when I press on- off on the keyboard it will cut the sound off from the speakers or headphones led power light is on no sounds at that point only power light is there (does not go off) when I unplug power supply and plug back on it works again sound is back keyboard is working to shut it off I need to shut it off from the keyboard or from the wall and than again plug it to the wall - keyboard on off is like not there will no do a thing .Could someone be helpful with that. Thank You very much.

morbank

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Having the same issue here. Wondering about something a poster mentioned in an older post in this thread...

UrazC said "To test whether the problem is on the headphone path, it is easier just to disconnect the HP board completely and connect HPSW node to GND on AM board, instead of desoldering C217 and C216. If the problem is the same, the speakers should start working"

Can anyone tell me which node/pin "HPSW" is on the HP board?

HiPhil

Joined Mar 31, 2020
Helloooo! Just registering to say thanky you! Had the same issue and fixed it by replacing C216 and C217 on the AM board. Learned alot in the process.

@morbank I had that question too, it is answered somewhere in the post already. What worked for me is to unplug the cable not at the AM side but on the side with the headphone jacks and use a thin wire to short pin 5 and 6. The numbers 1 and 6 are printed on the PCB next to the plug, 6 is the outer left if you look at it from above and 5 is right next to it.

Thanks again, this is a wonderful community!

Nick86

Joined Apr 23, 2020
Hi! Could you guys give me any advise? Got a keyboard Yamaha P-95.
Left speaker is not working, same with the headphones (just the right one is working). But in case with the headphones - if you pull it out a little bit - only left ear is working. But never together. What could it be?
Thanks!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ignore the situation when pulling the headphones connector out a little bit. That is giving misleading information.

You need to find the schematic of your keyboard and then do some signal tracing.

First, thanks for the huge amount of info from this thread. I have a P95 with the exact symptoms, no voice. Long story short, I identified the bad capacitors and purchased replacements. When I was replacing them, I either overheated the circuit board or my trusty soldering iron is overheating. Either way, the capacitor will not solder in place because of the foil trace damage. I tried a carbon pen but was unsuccessful. Most depressing since I thought I was pretty competent with a soldering iron. Anyway, I am now on the hunt for a replacement AM board (Yamaha part # WK351200). Anybody got a spare or a source? Thanks...Tony

Nick86

Joined Apr 23, 2020
Looks like this is not the best model of Yamaha. So I just sold it, and bought DGX-630 (did not loose a $ on a purchase/sale of P95 and purchase DGX-630 4 days later). And let me tell you something - DGX muuuuch more fun. But P-series has more quite and smooth keys, but, DGX has weighted keys also, ++++ lots of features. Well, at least I tried )

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
Either way, the capacitor will not solder in place because of the foil trace damage. I tried a carbon pen but was unsuccessful.
Post a picture of the damaged area. What does the damaged trace connect to? You can probably use point-to-point wiring from the capacitor to restore connectivity; either to what remains of the damaged trace or another place on the net.
I either overheated the circuit board or my trusty soldering iron is overheating.
It's more likely that you applied too much heat. Even if the iron temperature was too high, you should have stopped applying heat as soon as the solder was melted.