Stud diodes with Rev. Polarity...why?

Wheeler

Joined Apr 22, 2009
While purchasing some 1184A stud diodes to repair a 10amp automatic battery charger, I was surprised to learn that they were also available in reverse polarity (1184RA) .FOR what purpose,I don't know.
The heat sinks they will be mounted on will be live either way ,won't they? AC or DC ? Whats advantage does a R polarity have.
The transformer is a large center tap type 15v+15v; the rectifiers were 4 by 7 inch plates ,isolated from the chassis wall, forgot the name.
:rolleyes: I like to learn about power supplies in general (also old tube radios and antennas) Still learning.
Tks
Wheeler

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
While purchasing some 1184A stud diodes to repair a 10amp automatic battery charger, I was surprised to learn that they were also available in reverse polarity (1184RA) .FOR what purpose,I don't know.
The heat sinks they will be mounted on will be live either way ,won't they? AC or DC ? Whats advantage does a R polarity have.
The transformer is a large center tap type 15v+15v; the rectifiers were 4 by 7 inch plates ,isolated from the chassis wall, forgot the name.
:rolleyes: I like to learn about power supplies in general (also old tube radios and antennas) Still learning.
Tks
Wheeler
In some designs it's advantageous to be able to ground the heat sink and therefore have a choice of normal or reverse polarity packages can allow for grounding the heat sink.

Lefty

Wheeler

Joined Apr 22, 2009
It crossed my mind to put tubes in it :)
Curious... I have a HQ129X with an FM position on the limiter switch.I can't find a other like it in pics or list. THe back ID tag as the lettre A added to the model (the A is crooked ,plus, the FM decal at the switch is in a smaller font suggesting a custom alteration)ANY info or comments would be appreciated. I'll go in unrelated blogs with this.
Thks for the tip , I,ll check in to that. Wheeler

Wheeler

Joined Apr 22, 2009
Leftyretro
R polarity won't fit in this project I don.t think so.THe normal fits in between the transformer and the auto circuitry.
thks for the info PS this library comp. cuts out