Stuck on this diode problem from the Hayt/Neudeck "ECA&D, 2nd Ed."

grasshopper

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hello,

I am doing some self-study, but I don't have the benefit of a solutions manual, so sooner or later I knew I would run into a problem.

This problem is from the book:

Electronic Circuit Analysis and Design, 2nd Edition
William H. Hayt, Gerold W. Neudeck
ISBN: 978-0-471-12501-3

(Chapter 1, Problem 7)
A diode for which I_D = exp(33*V_D) - 1 [nA] is in series with a dc source of 0.5V. Sketch a curve of I_D vs. V_in, the voltage across the series combination, for the two possible battery polarities. Include both positive and negative values of V_in.

To solve this problem, I let I_D = 1mA, and solved for V_D, which came out to be 0.419.

The answer in the back of the book shows that that if +0.5V was used for the dc source, then the V_in vs. I_D would be (0.919, 1 mA), and for -0.5V it would be (-0.081, 1mA). (1 point on each curve given as the answer)

To get these answers: +0.5V + 0.419V = 0.919 and -0.5V + 0.419V = -0.081. I assume that this what was meant by "the voltages across the series combination, V_in".

But I can't make sense of it when I draw the circuit out. Because it would make more sense if it was +0.5V - 0.419V = 0.081V and -0.5V - 0.419V = -0.919V, with the dc source and the diode in series.

Can someone please help me make sense of this? :confused:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Well, we can't make sense of what you see when you draw it out unless you post a sketch of how you are drawing it out.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You problem is in your interpretation of the circuit. My initial thought was as yours, but there are some clues that tell you that this is wrong. First, they ask you to sketch Id versus Vin for both positive and negative values of Vin. But your circuit doesn't have a Vin, it just has a fixed 0.5V or -0.5V across the diode. Second, your calculation of the point 0.419V for a current of 1mA is meaningless for your circuit since you don't have 0.419V across the diode.

So, with those clues telling me that it isn't a 0.5V source applied across the diode, the next obvious choice was that they meant that the source and diode are in series as part of another circuit that is applying a voltage to the series combination of the two.

With that in mind, see if it makes more sense to you.

grasshopper

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Thanks Wbahn,

I drew the circuit in the manner you suggested (attached below) and it makes heck of a lot more sense with the solutions in consideration.

However I still have a question. Why would the 0.5V dc voltage that is placed in series with the diode be called "dc source." Is it a terminology that is used for any independent dc voltage, regardless where they are placed in the circuit (I suspect yes)? Prior to this experience, I always used to think that the "dc source" would be more or less equivalent to "V_in".

Again, thanks very much for your help and also for making me think through this problem.

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
A battery is a battery no matter where you place it. A source is a source no matter where you place it. Now, at times it might act like a load (otherwise battery chargers would be oxymorons), but it is still proper to refer to it as a "source" component.

Vin, on the other hand, will usually NOT be a source, but rather just a signal at a certain point is a circuit.