Strange video : Helicopter falls apart on landing

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
It would appear that what happened was something caused a "jolt", if you will, on startup that caused motion of the rotor axis beyond what the dampening system could handle, and since it was on the ground, it was allowed to "spiral out of control"; pardon the pun.
I doubt human stupidity was the cause, other than possibly not realizing what was happening and either accelerating or shutting down to cease the resonance.

(dads an aerospace engineer)

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I doubt human stupidity was the cause,
I wasn't saying stupidity was the cause of that accident, although a better pilot might have sensed the problem developing and reacted in a way to prevent the severe damage.

I was pointing to another video where a student pilot took off without his instructor and lost control, resulting in even more severe damage.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
It would appear that what happened was something caused a "jolt", if you will, on startup that caused motion of the rotor axis beyond what the dampening system could handle, and since it was on the ground, it was allowed to "spiral out of control"; pardon the pun.
I doubt human stupidity was the cause, other than possibly not realizing what was happening and either accelerating or shutting down to cease the resonance.

(dads an aerospace engineer)
Its called Resonance? I think in the heli world where you get to a certain RPM and if everything not balanced the Resonance tears the heli apart.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Its called Resonance? I think in the heli world where you get to a certain RPM and if everything not balanced the Resonance tears the heli apart.
yep
everything has a resonant frequency (electronic circuits included), its the job of the engineers to try to make sure it doesn't resonate during normal operation