Strange behaviour in two different part of the world (Nepal and Netherlands)

supermankid

Joined May 26, 2013
You misunderstand me. I meant someone purposely changing the time as a prank. If there are any youngsters around, I would consider this one of the most likely possibilities.

Bob
No youngster in my parents house :)
I have no idea if you ever fixed it, but I would put a switching power supply in there.

To avoid problems with kids, I'd create some sort of "trick" that's necessary to set the time. Magnet. Some "code" using the existing buttons that might enable setting for a certain amount of time.

make sure bypass caps are used.
SMPS is there before the lineart (to convert AC/DC). Now I am playing with debounce time. Debounce limit of longer than 90 ms seems to work (For 4 days now).

supermankid

Joined May 26, 2013
Interesting! I would guess the RTC but it looks fine. Then it also comes down to coding... Assume 'fine' so what then? What's different between the two countries... Power Distribution. I know here in USA that the frequency is updated (according to people) its once a day early in the morning. Looked at Nepal and found this interesting paper about their power system - and mentions something about 'system charging' which means there is no power?!? Graph says 20 hours... Without power it switches to RTC backup... Opps! System would stop running but RTC would 'run'... Hmmm! https://escholarship.org/uc/item/66b658ws
I asked my parents to send the module that was defect in Nepal and I tested here for almost 3 weeks without any issues. So, most likely the hardware is OK. The power tranisents seem to activate the button and now I increased the debounce delay close to 90ms which seems to solve the problem(for 4 days now). Hopefully it will solve the issue forever...