Strain Gauge on rod?

Hunter

Joined Aug 14, 2007
Hi all, I need some help from the forum.

My lecturer ask me to measure strain of a pulling rod using strain gauge? I have no clue what he mean. The rod was connected to a plate and was used to drive the plate forward and backward. the rod was fixed and design only for one direction movement. If I need to measure the difference when a few object with a different in weight putting on the plate. and i have only strain gauge to use. how and where can i attacth the strain gauge to? the best position to achieve a maximum accuracy? Urgently need help.

Thanks in advance.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
A strain gauge on the rod can only measure bending or torque. You will need to mount the strain gauges on a fixture that deflects with the force applied to the rod. Commercial cells for that application are shaped like an angular letter S. A U shape might do as well. The force applied would cause the arms of the U to close or open. One arm would be fixed, so the stress would concentrate on the other, which is where the bridge would be located.

Omega used to have some comprehensive material available about their strain gauges and how to apply them. Might be a good resource for you.

Hunter

Joined Aug 14, 2007
A strain gauge on the rod can only measure bending or torque. You will need to mount the strain gauges on a fixture that deflects with the force applied to the rod. Commercial cells for that application are shaped like an angular letter S. A U shape might do as well. The force applied would cause the arms of the U to close or open. One arm would be fixed, so the stress would concentrate on the other, which is where the bridge would be located.

Omega used to have some comprehensive material available about their strain gauges and how to apply them. Might be a good resource for you.
Thanks. You are right, i would try to apply the strain gauge on the handle triggle