Strain Gauge Amplifying problems

Motaz Ayyad

Joined Mar 10, 2014
Hi,

i am working on strain gauge training kit which will help the incoming students after me to apply the concepts of one of the force sensors

but since i live in the 3rd world none of the instrumentation amplifiers are available such as INA122...etc

the only Op/Amps available are :
LM358
LM386
LM324
uA741
TO072

and i know most of them are poor
i used LM358 as first amplification which made a gain approx 100 then i used anther one but it ends up with complete unstable system

and i am thinking of building instrumentation amplifier from one of the above Op/Amps

but i have no idea about how? that's my problem or if anyone could have another solution

thanks you and sorry for my bad English :/

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
One of the all-time great ***analog*** books.

The amps you have available (324, 358, TL072) will work fine in a traditional 3-amp circuit if you keep their limitations in mind. Primarily, bandwidth and errors. What is the highest frequency you are conditioning?

ak

Motaz Ayyad

Joined Mar 10, 2014
Thanks for both of you

the book was very helpful

but still i didn't get it

what is the mean of limitation?
and the frequency condition?

i tried to build the circuit in the attachment with LM358 instead of uA741
and with another different thing which is i used +6 and 0 as power to the amps instead of +12 -12

the output was constant to approx 4.42V

thanks again

Attachments

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
We need the complete circuit, including the strain gauge stuff, to help. Can you post a schematic?

4.4 V might be the output saturating against the positive rail, which means there probably is something about the input it doesn't like.

ak

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
4.4V does suggest output saturation. Try adding a small DC offset voltage to one or other input, to overcome any inherent input offset.

Motaz Ayyad

Joined Mar 10, 2014
this is the full schematic that i build

another question , i am also trying to get one of the INA but i don't know which one to buy -which could reach or not-
any suggestion as plan b for an INA ???

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi M,
The lower two OPA's are incorrectly connected.
Their +/-Vin are incorrect.

E

EDIT:

Look at this edited drawing, also check the Offset pot for the bridge

Attachments

Last edited:

Motaz Ayyad

Joined Mar 10, 2014
thank you, i will test it today with these changes i hope it will work

also could you tell me which one of the INA series is suitable for this application??

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
thank you, i will test it today with these changes i hope it will work

also could you tell me which one of the INA series is suitable for this application??
hi,
I use the AD623, it will work on a single supply voltage.
If you decide on a different type, ensure that its suitable for single supply operation, many IA require dual voltage supplies.
E.

Motaz Ayyad

Joined Mar 10, 2014
after the reconnecting as the edited circuit
the bridge output voltage approx to 3mV
the up OPA output voltage is 5.49V
the down OPA output voltage 1.40V
the last OPA output voltage .675 and not changing

i guess maybe the resistors combinations is the problem?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
It looks OK to me.

Run two simulations in LTS.
First image is with the bridge in balance, second image bridge offset to give 11.1mV input signal.

Gain set for approx 80.

Note: I have grouped the 10R and 270R's into one 290R.

Using LM358 OPA with a +5V supply will limit the maximum Vout to approx +3.5V..

E

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
This sim shows a 0 thru 10mV input signal sweep and Vout, looks OK.

Note the non linearity on Vout at near zero and at approx +4V due to using a LM358 at +5Vsupply.

E

Attachments

Motaz Ayyad

Joined Mar 10, 2014
thank you very very much
it works -with some sort of instability-
a problem with DC offset in the bridge which i am working on it
i am changing the gain with 1K Var. Res.

and also i want to thank you for telling me about an application like LTSpice i will check it out, i see it very useful app.

in addition, in a neighbor country(Egypt) i found these three instrumentation amplifiers
which one you suggest?

AD524 75L.E. approx 10.78$
AD620AN 30L.E. approx 4.31$
AD624 95L.E. approx 13.65$

and i think the three are Dual voltage rail

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
and also i want to thank you for telling me about an application like LTSpice i will check it out, i see it very useful app.

in addition, in a neighbor country(Egypt) i found these three instrumentation amplifiers
which one you suggest?

AD524 75L.E. approx 10.78$
AD620AN 30L.E. approx 4.31$
AD624 95L.E. approx 13.65$
Hi,
The AD620 is an older version, I would choose the AD624 , BUT it is specified to work with a dual supply voltage.

I have attached the LTS asc file for the IA which I plotted earlier, it may help you get started.
Join the free Yahoo LTSpice user group for models and examples.

E

EDIT:
You will find its VERY difficult to adjust the bridge offset which such a high value pot.!!!

Attachments

Motaz Ayyad

Joined Mar 10, 2014
thank you for everything :)

everything works fine , but still have the problem with the offset at no load
for example i have 3V offset at no load with large gain that measure small things

any idea to slove this problem? , i tried to make the wheatstone bridge more balance but with no luck

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Do you use a full bridge or a half bridge setup? And also do you now use a commercial instrumentation amplifier or a home build one using opamps?

Motaz Ayyad

Joined Mar 10, 2014
i am using full bridge, one strain gauge and 3 resisters
and i am using home build instrumentation amplifiers (3 O/P) , first i was using lm358 then i replaced them with TL072

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Have you tried inserting a variable resistor in the part of a bridge that are made by resistors. This way you can tune the bridge into balance much better. I would suggest using a multiturn pot since small values will give large swings in the output.