Straight-forward newbie question ;)

hansaaa

Joined Nov 21, 2013
Hi, I haven't done any hardware programming in a LONG time, and, also, hadn't done too much of it to begin with, so, this question should be "easy" to answer, for most of you.

I want to build a system with a gps-receiver and an audio output based on current position/speed.

I may want to get this GPS-receiver and, then, maybe a microcontroller such as http://www.ti.com/product/msp430f2131.

Question: What do I need / how do I hook-up this MC to my laptop, for transferring programs, and, in what Environment can I actually program?

Is all I need a bread-board, and can I take any? Do different MC's and breadboards support different Development environments.

For example, the MC mentioned, supports C-Language as far as I have heard.

So, is there any software that comes with Microcontroller and/or breadboards, that let me program and, also transfer the program to the mentioned MC?

What else should I kniow?

Thanks for any, and all help!

Cheers,

c

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Pick a microcontroller and get it and start playing with it to learn how to work with it. Most MCUs have a lot of tutorial-like stuff available for that purpose.

hansaaa

Joined Nov 21, 2013
Ok, I do need a breadboard as well though, right? For hooking it up the pc/laptop? Is any bread-board ok for beginning?

Thanks!

c

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Depends on what, exactly, you are building on the breadboard. As long as you keep the circuits you build low power and low speed and tolerant of noise and parasitics, you will be fine.