Stopping a USB C male to micro USB male charging the connected device

curious_one

Joined May 14, 2020
Hi,
I have a drone and controller with an annoying feature. The controller charges the phone that is used to view the telemetry and video etc. that is coming from the drone. The problem lies in that, with Android phones, this charging of the phone drains the controller's battery rather quickly, much more so than occurs when an I phone is connected.
The connection between the controller and the Android phone is the cable of the title i.e. USB-C male to micro USB male. A quick google suggests that a micro USB connection has 5 contacts, 2 data, 1 something else, 1 common ground and a +5V.
I am wondering if severing the +5V wire would
a) stop the charging,
b) interfere with the data transfer, not desirable,
c) be dangerous for the devices at either end of the cable, definitely not desirable.
I assume that rather than actually playing with the supplied cable I would buy another generic cable and play with that.
Thanks for any comments or assistance given.

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
Try putting your phone in "Battery Saver" mode. This may reduce the drain on the controller.

Edit: setting a "charging limit on an android phone" seems to be a thing. Google the quoted phrase. It requires a special app with root access. Set the limit to a low value and the phone will stop charging until the level goes below the limit. Never done it. Just an idea I found.

Last edited:

curious_one

Joined May 14, 2020
Thank folks, I will look into reducing it via the software, actually I just happened to notice that when connected to the controller the phone switches to "charging your device via USB" USB mode. I will have to try changing the mode to one of the data transfer modes. Might this be akin with Analog Ground's battery saver thing?
Do either of you happen to know the difference between "transfering media files via an MTP connection" and "transfering images via a PTP connection if MTP is not supported"?
I ask because when in the phone is in the former mode my laptop can not see the phone when they are connected via a USB cable whereas it can see the phone when the latter mode is selected. The phone is new to me, I don't have these problems with my 'old' Samsung S5