stop DC motor

firend

Joined Feb 18, 2012
I am controlling a DC motor. I use L298 to control. I want to stop motor by not provide power for motor. but time to motor stop is long.
who do anyone have idea to stop motor faster?
thanks in advance.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Stopping a DC motor requires applying a reverse current. This can be implemented with an opamp and current driver in the form of a "negative resistance" circuit.

firend

Joined Feb 18, 2012
i buy a second-hand motor. it has a encoder HP Q9898, a disk.on the disk has seri 02276-20014-1 and 504, made in USA.
what does anyone have information encoder HP Q9898 and motor?
i am sorry because my english isn't good.
thanks.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Free running to stop the motor, that can be use at motor with gear.

If you want to stop the motor without gear, maybe you can add a stopping control circuit for a short time as 1/10 Second to reverse the voltage to the motor, I'm not sure how long the motor is continuing to run after power off, so you can adjust the time to suit your need.

Maybe you can use NE555 and some logic gate to control.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
You can have every effective braking with just motor shorting. I easily got within a few QEI counts of the position set-point just using fast relays to drive or short the motor.
My favorite way as well. You can also just put a resistor across the motor leads. Its not as good and more power intensive but its simple to drive and sufficient in some cases. Pick a value that's a balance between power dissipation and deceleration.