Stock up on produce prices are about to go through the roof.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Yep, I did that about 6 months ago. It is still in my refrigerator. Do you want to buy some tomatoes? The word perishable just pops into my mind...

John

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I would dry the tomatoes and then freeze them. Then pull a quart when the mood strikes me. Great editions to soup or placed in olive oil and spices.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You can dry (dehydrate) just about anything. Make your own trail mix of fruits and nuts.
The price of clothes is going up too and gasoline is supposed to go to $4 a gallon by summer and $5 next year.

The only thing not going up is my paycheck.

It's going to be hard enough for us old folks. If things keep getting worse, I don't know how the younger folks are going to be able to make it till the end of theirs.

I think my folks generation had it the best. They started off rough in the middle of the depression but when you are a kid you didn't know of a better life so it probably was not so bad. My father was a postal worker and never made a whole lot of money but my folks are enjoying a fairly comfortable retirement and they will be gone before it gets too bad. They pretty much enjoyed the best years in this country.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
gasoline is supposed to go to $4 a gallon by summer and $5 next year.
And Americans will pay it. Someday we will question the government about the cost of regulations with reference everyday life.

I wouldn't expect too much sympathy from people outside the U.S. $4 / gallon isn't much more than I payed in 1977-1979 in Italy, $2.15 per gallon, when one considers inflation. I think I'm getting off cheap. Consider the federal govenment get's about 18 cents per gallon in tax. The states add on their tax, and some states tack on a sales tax above that. If your state charges a sales tax on top, that will be a nice windfall for the politico's to feed their habit.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You are probably right, but the USA depends on gas for more than personal transportation. It is what moves the products around to the various stores.

It is not an accepted view, but I blame the $4 gas for a large part of the recession. When people have to spend an extra $30-50 per week to get to work and groceries, that is money that can't be spent elsewhere. Fewer trips also mean less shopping. Sound familiar?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I doubt any government will admit to their part in the problem. The governments won't see that as a problem ... till their constituents place them on the unemployment rolls.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
And Americans will pay it. Someday we will question the government about the cost of regulations with reference everyday life.

I wouldn't expect too much sympathy from people outside the U.S. $4 / gallon isn't much more than I payed in 1977-1979 in Italy, $2.15 per gallon, when one considers inflation. I think I'm getting off cheap. Consider the federal govenment get's about 18 cents per gallon in tax. The states add on their tax, and some states tack on a sales tax above that. If your state charges a sales tax on top, that will be a nice windfall for the politico's to feed their habit.

But countries like Italy spend almost nil for their military compared to teh US thanks to Uncle Sam. They have plenty of money to spend on public services like transportation. Of course even with all the money they have things are still collpasing.

The US needs to start charging for the military protection of Europe or get out. The whole region would crumble overnight if they suddenly had to join the real world.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
It would be under $3.50 per gallon without tax here. Tax is extra high on petrol to try and persuade people to get smaller cars. People complain but it works.