STM32F4 + Camera + Wireless

zoo_lander

Joined May 3, 2013
Hi, for a university project I need to somehow interface a camera to a STM32F4 Discovery Board. I have no idea about recording video via a camera on this board, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for the right camera to use and maybe some example code so that I could understand this? Once I manage to record the video stream, I plan to send this via wifi to a computer, and display in a GUI (a bit optimistic I know :p). I currently use Keil as my main IDE with this board. Any help would be very much appreciated, Thanks ! :)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
What makes you think this is even possible? The application notes mention audio but not a peep about video.

The Flip video cameras offer a lot of bang for the buck, but I'm not sure how that might help you here. A webcam might be more versatile.

rstevenson

Joined Apr 5, 2011
In my final engineering project we were thinking of doing something similiar(ish) with the stm32f4 but we decided to do it with a RPi instead. It was a good decision because we could easily interface almost any webcam and it was easy to interface to a wifi dongle. I would suggest looking into it

zoo_lander

Joined May 3, 2013
Thanks rstevenson, we have just been given these STM boards this year (we're their guinea pigs :p), and have done some simpleish tasks with them but nothing hard. Like wayneh says, there are very limited resources since it's quite new and not widely used, unlike the Pi or Arduino. I want to implement this in an RC car, so may use the STM to manipulate the reciever (saves having to manually control each servo), as to replicate the normal received signal (after decoding), and use a RPi or similar to provide the video feed. Would you be able to point towards some good resources for using a RPi or beagleboard to provide to video feed over wireless? Cheers :)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The STM32F407 has a digital camera interface (DCMI) that is straight forward to use. You provide a HOR SYNC, VERT SYNC, pixel clock, and parallel data and the hardware grabs each frame automatically using direct memory access (DMA). It is all explained in the data manual.

rstevenson

Joined Apr 5, 2011
Would you be able to point towards some good resources for using a RPi or beagleboard to provide to video feed over wireless? Cheers :)
We only sent single images across wireless and it wasn't really my part of the project but I'm sure someone has done something similar on the net, you'd just have to dig to find it. Good luck!