still a little confused on oscilloscopes

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Oh, please, not yet another sticky that no one is going to read and that is going to clutter up the top of the forum lists.

I really wish we could take most of the stickies in all the forums and put them in a single thread that is well indexed and then have a tight limit on the number of stickies in a given forum, most of which should redirect to a post in the Sticky Thread.
If someone had the inclination to spend the time an make a FGA (Frequently Given Answers) index to stickies that would be very cool. I hasten to add that, regrettably, this was not an offer of volunteering.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I've never understood why some people ignore this warning

Screen Shot.png

when adding a comment to a long-dead thread; in this case the thread is more than six years old, and the TS hasn't even logged into AAC since the day after he posted.

All I can think of is that perhaps the warning isn't prominent enough. Is there any way to make it more intrusive, more blatant, and harder to miss? Maybe make it a bright flashing red popup accompanied by a klaxon sound at full volume?

"Subtle" clearly doesn't do the job.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
When using an oscilloscope do I have to connect ground clip near component I a am measuring on secondary side of isolation transformer or can I just connect the ground clip near negative terminal of transformer, since this will earth reference entire line?
Aside from your direct question, if you are working with A/C circuits you MUST be very careful and understand exactly how your oscilloscope is wired for ground. If not, you can ruin your probes, your scope, or both. Since A/C flows in both directions, and (at least in the USA) you are connecting your o-scope ground to the power-grid, you are creating a path through your ground line to anything else you connect to. If you have ground-leads on each probe, almost NEVER use more than one of them to ground when dealing with an A/C circuit. Otherwise you can create a short through the ground-lead through your scope and poof! There goes your probe(s) or and/or your scope.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
When using an oscilloscope do I have to connect ground clip near component I a am measuring on secondary side of isolation transformer or can I just connect the ground clip near negative terminal of transformer, since this will earth reference entire line?
It's always best to ground the scope probe close to the component you're testing...and even better if you use the shortest ground lead possible...especially when working with RF>