stereoscopic 3D display

darenw5

Joined Feb 2, 2008
This might be a fun starting point for a science fair project or a mad scientist experiment...

At http://www.darenscotwilson.com/spec/stereo888/stereo888.html I've posted notes on an electronics experiment from years ago. It produces a stereoscopic pair of image on an oscilloscope screen, the image being an 8x8x8 grid of points, viewable with a pair of lenses. Glowing phoshphor replaces photos, but is otherwise like Viewmaster or the stereoscopes of the early 20th century.

Believable perspective effects, limited ability to (fake) rotate the grid, and the stereoscopic left/right viewpoints are done with analog techniuqes. Digital counters are used only as a means of creating waveforms for x,y,z coordinates, in this case for making a grid of points; other waveforms could be used to create other shapes. Data in RAM controls each point being on or off. Variations on the circuitry could lead to interesting artsy effects.

I don't have time to polish this any further; it falls short of beign suitable for the Projects Collection. You get what you find and will need to hack it a bit. If there are any questions, errors discovered or muddled descriptions, please report.

Have fun with this, feel free to use this as a basis for your own projects, as long as you credit me with the original materials. It'll be interesting to see what others will do with it. Be creative!

DSW