Stereo amp repair help!

mchammer9111

Joined Jan 24, 2013
Hi I have a set of klipsch promedia speakers and the left channel recently died. The left speaker appears to have been damaged in the process because when I use it as the right speaker it sounds terrible. I found the schematics here : http://christopherbradshaw.net/The_Project_Bin/klipsch promedia subwoofer repair - page 1.html

I'm pretty much broke at the moment and I figure I better put my basic circuit skills to the test.

Any idea where I should start testing? I was thinking of starting with the transistors on the left channel amp.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Please post clear, high resolution photos of both sides of the entire circuit board, labeling any wires coming into/out of the board. Use the paperclip to add them as attachments to your post.

Good focus and lighting is an absolute must.

Without references, troubleshooting is nearly impossible. With photos, some here have fully rebuilt amplifiers.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hi I have a set of klipsch promedia speakers and the left channel recently died. The left speaker appears to have been damaged in the process because when I use it as the right speaker it sounds terrible.
It has discrete amplifiers with no kind of overload protection and the usual cheap bias setting design. If something failed in the speaker it could have blown the amp, but more likely something failed in the amp that screwed up the bias point of the output and it cranked a DC voltage and current through the speaker and destroyed something like the voice coil. It's pretty hard to point to a single component because designs with no protection go out with massive destruction.

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
ok well looking at the power amplifier schematics its not a really hard amplifier to repair....the speaker has no doubt failed due to a fault either in the op stage-id b testing op transistors for sc all ways,check the driver stage for faulty transistors,diodes etc....just as a start but you will need need to be able to solder/desolder to a reasonable standard to avoid any more damage to the board ...also check for oc copper tracks as well