Stepping down 20v/3.25A into 12v/2A and 5v/1A

navdroid

Joined Jul 19, 2013
Hi All,

Can someone please help in my project? I have a laptop power supply which I would like to use to power a raspberry pi and a LCD screen. The raspberry pi takes 5v/1A and LCD screen controller board takes 12v/2A. I would like to power both using only one power supply, so will need to reduce the voltage down the line before it goes to respective devices.

I checked switching controllers and voltage converter ICs but my knowledge about these things is very basic. Also, I heard it generates lot of heat.

Can someone please advice if I can achieve step-down of voltage using good old color coded resistors? if yes, how can I calculate which resistor I need?:confused:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Can someone please advice if I can achieve step-down of voltage using good old color coded resistors? if yes, how can I calculate which resistor I need?:confused:
No, you will need voltage regulators. In addition, your power requirements seem too large for the devices. The RP model A needs 300mA or less, and I am doubtful about an LCD that requires 12V at 2A.

navdroid

Joined Jul 19, 2013
Thanks for your reply.

The power requirements are confirmed. The LCD controller board powers up a 15.6" laptop screen and requires min of 2A current. Also, RPi needs min of 750mA current otherwise it starts hanging on applications.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hi All,

Can someone please help in my project? I have a laptop power supply which I would like to use to power a raspberry pi and a LCD screen. The raspberry pi takes 5v/1A and LCD screen controller board takes 12v/2A. I would like to power both using only one power supply, so will need to reduce the voltage down the line before it goes to respective devices.

I checked switching controllers and voltage converter ICs but my knowledge about these things is very basic. Also, I heard it generates lot of heat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PM7-HOT-DC-...ravel_Adapters_Converters&hash=item35c9b76af5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-100V-240...=US_Server_Power_Supplies&hash=item3a7a976151

navdroid

Joined Jul 19, 2013
Thanks bounty hunter ut i would like to supply power using one power supply. Two power supply for a tablet wont be practical :)

navdroid

Joined Jul 19, 2013
I agree but my project is to put a old laptop screen in a photo frame and power it using raspberry pi and use it as a digital photo frame or media device to play songs or other media content.......the device will sit on a desk or may be above a fireplace as a traditional photo frame

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I agree but my project is to put a old laptop screen in a photo frame and power it using raspberry pi and use it as a digital photo frame or media device to play songs or other media content.......the device will sit on a desk or may be above a fireplace as a traditional photo frame
Then why would you care if you plugged one cord or two into the wall?

There are dual output supplies out there. Here's one for $6

http://www.coolerstars.com/actodc12duou1.html