Stepper/Servo for automotive clutch operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukePerry085

Joined May 9, 2014
I am in the planning stages of a project to convert a vehicle to a hand operated clutch, as my wife has knee problems but being a car guy I really dislike automatics. I've done much mechanics, machining, and a decent amount of electronics but never really dove into the world of stepper motors or servos (I've done a bit of research and have a solid base understanding).

Anyway, I would like to install a shifter similar to this:

The lever to squeeze would operate the clutch, although I know that if it were simply connected via cable then it would almost surely be too difficult to operate by hand. That's why I plan to connect it to a potentiometer to operate a stepper motor or servo that would operate the clutch, but still be able to be operated by traditional means when I'm driving.

What I'm really not sure about is what controller I would use to have the stepper/servo follow the positioning of the potentiometer. Most of the controllers that I've seen (as far as I can tell at least) are programmed to turn the motor from position A to position B, but maybe I'm off base on this. If anybody has any guidance I am all ears.

Thanks!

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Have you read the terms of service before posting this? This forum doesn't allow automotive modifications. Someone will be by soon to provide more information.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Sorry, this thread will be close because discussion of Automotive modifications is prohibited as stated in the Terms of Service.

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.