Stepper motor tester

bigcatman

Joined Nov 17, 2011
Just a quick one.
I've been looking for a stepper motor tester which will drive the motor forwards and backwards but also have indictors on it as well to show which direction the motor is travelling.
I can't seem to find anything on-line and wondered if anyone has a diagram of such a thing?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Just a quick one.
I've been looking for a stepper motor tester which will drive the motor forwards and backwards but also have indictors on it as well to show which direction the motor is travelling.
I can't seem to find anything on-line and wondered if anyone has a diagram of such a thing?
A microcontroller could be programmed to cycle a stepper motor and light some LED's to show the direction of rotation, however the software would have to be written for a specific motor step angle and the hardware would need to be designed for a defined range of voltage and current.

Are you wanting to test a lot of identical steppers or are you wanting a fixture for testing a variety of motors? What are the motor specifications?

bigcatman

Joined Nov 17, 2011
A microcontroller could be programmed to cycle a stepper motor and light some LED's to show the direction of rotation, however the software would have to be written for a specific motor step angle and the hardware would need to be designed for a defined range of voltage and current.

Are you wanting to test a lot of identical steppers or are you wanting a fixture for testing a variety of motors? What are the motor specifications?
Many thanks for your help.

I'm looking at testing different motors.
Specs wise, there's a lot of motors, so posting on here would be pointless.

Looks like a no go area by the sounds of it as it's too intense and time consuming to do.