Stepper Motor for Satellite

vengeful

Joined Jun 8, 2010
Now as the title suggests, this to rotate a satellite receiver. My question is: what type of stepper motor would i need to rotate that satellite receiver dish with a weight of around 5kg. :confused:

bigbigblue

Joined Mar 15, 2006
Now as the title suggests, this to rotate a satellite receiver. My question is: what type of stepper motor would i need to rotate that satellite receiver dish with a weight of around 5kg. :confused:
it all depends upon the weight of the dish, the gearing of the mechanism and the speed with which you wish to relocate the dish. I would think a nema 32 sized motor should do the job in most circumstances though.

vengeful

Joined Jun 8, 2010
haven't chosen a gear system yet, thought the motor choice would be first. Been reading up and from what the vast pdf's suggest is that the torque of the load (in this case the satellite receiver dish) needs to be calculated and from the various curves they give you a motor can be chosen.

I was actually thinking about a worm gear. That would give me the rotations.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
gotta choose/design your gearing first as that will change the motor requirements... and don't forget about wind gusts,etc... acting against your dish..That can really change your overall requirements.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you used a plain DC motor with a worm or gear reduction drive, and a rotational encoder to determine absolute antenna position, your drive requirements would be a lot more simple.