Stepper motor driver

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi all,

I am building a CNC and will be using a NEMA24 4A stepper motor. To drive the motor I was planning to use the DM556 driver.

I will not be using a software to control the DM556. Instead, I will be controlling it through a microconroller. From the DM556 datasheet I can see that there is a terminal block for enabling the driver and for selecting the direction. Now my problem is to control the speed of the stepper motor.

Does anyone know how to do this? Also, is it difficult to interface this driver with a microcontroller instead of using the RS232?

Any kind of help will be appreciated.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

To drive a steppermotor using that driver, there are three signals needed.
The PUL-signal, a pulse sequence of wich the frequency determines the stepper motor speed.
The DIR-signal, for the direction.
The ENABLE-signal, to enable the driver.

from the datasheet:

Bertus

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have never used this, but according to the sheet the RS232 is just for tuning and setting the drive?
P11 shows the step and direction inputs, which will entail either hi or low for dir and pulse train for speed.
Max.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A stepper motor is controlled by stepping the winding voltages in sequence. The frequency of these steps is controlled by the frequency of the PUL input pulses to the DM556, which controls the speed of the motor (as determined by the number of motor poles). So you just need to generate the desired pulse frequency with your microcontroller (from its internal software program that someone needs to design).

This has nothing to do with RS-232 which is an obsolete serial digital connection used with PCs.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you don't have a RS232 port for the set-up software, there are a few USB/RS232 convertors out there that work, some better than others.
Max.