Stepper motor driver test

Iggylites

Joined Sep 13, 2009
I've been trying to figure out what the best way to test a driver chip is. I can always look at the output through a scope, but I was wondering if there was any other way that's more...approved of?

In the end I realize unless I have the same test sequence (ie moving the motor 30 steps in one direction over the same amount of time) I'll get varying waveforms. But maybe I can look at certain parameters that remain constant? I haven't been able to pick up much info about drivers other than spec sheets, so I don't know what I'm looking for.

Any ideas? Help? Opinions?

I have to clarify I'm completely self-taught on electronics and learn as I go along. So a lot of what I do is based on my own rationalizing of what I understand to be the way things work, and I learn on a need-to-know basis, please dont' get frustrated at some possibly insane way of looking at things I may have!

rickmartin

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I don't know if you have time to sidestep your current project for a little hands-on, but Ramsey has a great stepper motor driver kit that might help you learn how the driver ICs work. You can see it here.