Step Down Transformers

Gumps

Joined Mar 10, 2009
Hello all,

Please help me understand...I bought locally sold plug in the wall step down transformers to adapt my U.S.120V stuff to 230V house power in Australia. The largest transformer is a 2000W step down. The question is, if the transformer is plugged into the wall (230V) and the devices that are powered by it are off, is power being consumed? The transformer, even though the devices are off, gives off heat.

Thanks.

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
Hello all,

Please help me understand...I bought locally sold plug in the wall step down transformers to adapt my U.S.120V stuff to 230V house power in Australia. The largest transformer is a 2000W step down. The question is, if the transformer is plugged into the wall (230V) and the devices that are powered by it are off, is power being consumed? The transformer, even though the devices are off, gives off heat.

Thanks.
Yes, if it gives off heat then it is dissapating energy. Transformers have internal losses and that is what you are seeing.

Lefty

Gumps

Joined Mar 10, 2009
Thanks...I kinda thought so.

Is there a calculation to determine power consumed? I have had higher than average power bills and I was wondering if these, which I have left plugged in, are a big contributor.

Thanks

Mike33

Joined Feb 4, 2005
They contribute, for sure. If you care to, you could break the line going to the transformer and measure the current used at rest ('quiescent current', or energizing current'). Then E*I=P in watts. Or just unplug them all when not in use and keep an eye on the electric bill ;o)

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
Transformers on no-load or standby are one of the largest contributors of envirommental pollution as the generated electrical energy (especially if thermal power plants are considered) is unduly wasted in the form of losses.

Dats the reason why utility companies always advice its consumers to switch off their appliances from the mains recepticle to curb power wastage due to quiescant currents!