steel toe safety boots

kiloman

Joined Sep 30, 2009
hi,

i was wondering how my safety boots work exactly. the toes are steel toe and the bottoms are thick rubber. i undertand that the thick rubber provides good insulation from ground, but why would there be a steel toe? wouldnt you want to have nothing metal in the boots?

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
In the 60's after I got out of high school, I worked at a naval base for the summer before going to college. We were required to buy steel-toed safety boots -- and I still remember being put out at that because they were $5 and we had to pay for them ourselves. Later that summer I was working in a facility that pressed the explosive powder into 5 inch gun projectiles. One time I dropped one on my foot (they weighed around 70 pounds) and was very thankful the steel toes protected my toes...

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
hi,

i was wondering how my safety boots work exactly. the toes are steel toe and the bottoms are thick rubber. i undertand that the thick rubber provides good insulation from ground, but why would there be a steel toe? wouldnt you want to have nothing metal in the boots?
Usually, the steel toe-cap is enclosed with the shoe itself, i.e. in an electrical sense is an isolated entity, therefore it is not an issue. YMMV of course, particularly with older boots or boots that are not specific for use by electrical disciplines (if such exists).

Dave

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
I worked for an envelope manufacturer, where very heavy rolls of paper (4' diameter, 3-4' width) were very common. I was told to NOT use steel toed boots -- if one of those rolls fell on your toe, even on the tip, the steel toe would be crushed and work like a knife.

So, I guess the best thing to do would be to find out the crushing weight of the toes, and the maximum weight you can expect to fall on your foot, and think.

--Rich

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Funny, MythBusters did a story on steel toed boots, the boots won over every myth. The crimp story was a large part it. By the time the boot has given up the ghost you've probably lost a leg, or your life.

I'd be strongly tempted to get a worn out set of steel toed boots and check that paper roll story. Crimped or crushed, the end result is still bad, but if the boots can take the weight I'd want to wear em.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
The thing I hated about steel toed boots was working outside in cold weather. Seems you could never get your toes warm.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That, and my feet hurt with them on, That steel does tend to shape the shoe (or boot) top and bottom. This after they were worn for a year or two.