Steady hand buzzer game

craig736

Joined Jan 5, 2014
Hello. Sorry this is a very simple question. I have built a steady hand buzzer series circuit for my son. I am using a 9V battery and a buzzer. When I test the circuit using standard copper wire the circuit work and teh buzzer goes off. However when I replace the wire with 2 mm copper cable the buzzer does not go off. Any advice pse

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Is the copper cable isolated?

Perhaps a picture of both might give us more info.

If so, the buzzer won't go off.
You will need un-isolated wire for the game.

Bertus

craig736

Joined Jan 5, 2014
The copper cable isn't insulated. The only thing I can think of is that it's something to do with the lower resistance of the copper cable because it works with the copper wire. Would that make a difference?

Picture attached. Hopefully!

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It looks right. If the new wire is not coated with transparent enamel like a transformer would use, you have simply gotten a bad connection somewhere...or maybe the light bulb burned out?

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Similarly to #12, I'm guessing that you have a screw terminal tightened down on insulation (enamel or PVC) instead of bare metal.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You can test if the wire has this enamel coating by holding the testpins of a DMM on the wire using the continuity test and hear if the beeper goes of the DMM.

Bertus

craig736

Joined Jan 5, 2014
Thank you both. I'm reckoning it has a thin plastic coating over the copper cable. I'll get to it with emery paper tomorrow.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Thank you both. I'm reckoning it has a thin plastic coating over the copper cable. I'll get to it with emery paper tomorrow.

Sometimes, I'll use a cigarette lighter to burn off insulation on small diameter wires. Just don't hold it there very long.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
2mm resembles 12 gauge American. Just strip some house wiring wire to get naked copper. Got a leftover hunk of it in the shed?