Starting a counter

simo_x

Joined Dec 23, 2010
Hello, I am working with a little project wich use a preselect counter.

Someone told me that when the power is supplied, you never know exactly at wich sequence the counter will start to count, so in practice the probability it start from 0000 is never 100%, so if it is true I need to work on the Master Reset of this counter, which is the 40163.

So I thinked to use a RC as this:

where "Analog Out" is the output to the Master Reset Input, which is activated with a logic 0.

With this configuration, changing the value to 10uF for the capacitor, when power is supplied, in 0.5 second the logic state of the output change from 0 to +.

I am not sure if it is ok to start the counter from 0000. Is it?

Thank You for your suggestion.

Simo

edgetrigger

Joined Dec 19, 2010
Analog output has to be connected to the master reset point or the clear pin. And what you have mentioned as pin has to be connected to Vcc, so that you get the clear pin pulled low when the Vcc stabilises.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
You could always set up a 'logic check' to insure you get the proper state set before the counting starts.

A four input NAND/AND gate could look at the output states and only give a signal out when the counter is at 0000. This could be a count enable signal, so you know the count will always start at 0000

Last edited: