start/run capacitors

mjkonzie

Joined Nov 27, 2010
hey,
I have a 1/2 hp wood turning lathe motor. The 24uf 250 volt 60hz motor cap is shot, hard to find, and now disconnected from the circuit.
Question: the motor now runs fine it seems. Will there be a problem just putting the motor back in place now or will it consume much more power, or worse yet burn up the motor?.
If it starts and runs w/o the cap, why is it even there?

mjkonzie

Joined Nov 27, 2010
so.....it's ok to just put the motor back in place and use it? I also don't want it to consume lots more power or electricity on my meter. been searching everywhere for this specific capacitor, but nowhere can i find an exact rating. 1-100uf is not 24. and it says its a 250 volt but plugs into 110vac outlet. sorry, i am ignorant, just want this to work without costing me much.

mjkonzie

Joined Nov 27, 2010
oh and thanks "thatoneguy" for the reply. i did read the post prior, and believe me, alot of this is doctor/lawyer jargon to me.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
250V is the maximum rating, 120VAC current peaks over 170V, typically 50%-100% of max voltage is used for the rating.

24uF isn't a standard value.

22uF/250V caps are 75 cents or so at DigiKey.

I like to keep equipment completely working, meaning all original components when it comes to expensive tools. That's just me though.

mjkonzie

Joined Nov 27, 2010
thanks again,
so its a cbb60 blue cap, 2 wires off top. says 24uf +- 5% 250v ac50-60.
a 22uf cap 250v would be ok then? sorry again too, thought i read somewhere today that its the uf thats important to be exact. i realize i may have misunderstood, just want it to be ok. like you, i like to keep things the way they were. i will be checking that site for caps though
thanks again