Standard to follow during creating the graphical object of Standard Symbol

samim09me

Joined Dec 5, 2019
While creating the Symbol of Standard Component or Any other Electrical Component's Symbol, What standard should follow for these graphic objects? For example, In case of a male connector pin symbol, how much the overall length should consider for the pin length, how much width in pixels unit of these graphic object should consider, how much the grid spacing should consider for a proper view of symbol while placing in schemaic sheets, how much the pin spacing should be which have more than one pin connection etc. Actually what standard are follows for these graphical symbol?
Thanks in advance:)

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If your program has classes of "symbols" for schematics, "packages" for PCB's, and those are combined into a "device" (e.g., EAGLE), the symbol per se is meaningless so long as it has enough pins. That said, the library has many standard symbols for common components. Use those. For a new component, you can use just a square or rectangular outline and add enough pins that are properly labeled. The length of the pins used on the symbol do not matter.

Now for the package (e.g., your male connector), the manufacturer will have a recommended PCB layout. If not, find something similar in the library and use that with appropriate modification. You do need to consider actual outline size. For example, a male pinheader will likely require less board space than a male wire-to-board connector with shroud and orientation structures.

samim09me

Joined Dec 5, 2019
If your program has classes of "symbols" for schematics, "packages" for PCB's, and those are combined into a "device" (e.g., EAGLE), the symbol per se is meaningless so long as it has enough pins. That said, the library has many standard symbols for common components. Use those. For a new component, you can use just a square or rectangular outline and add enough pins that are properly labeled. The length of the pins used on the symbol do not matter.

Now for the package (e.g., your male connector), the manufacturer will have a recommended PCB layout. If not, find something similar in the library and use that with appropriate modification. You do need to consider actual outline size. For example, a male pinheader will likely require less board space than a male wire-to-board connector with shroud and orientation structures.
Hi jpanhalt!
First of all Thank you very much for your quick response. The software I used was for Cable Harness diagram. It was zuken e3 student version. last time I'd tested by drawing in an arbitrary size symbol (non-standard dimensional size) but the problem noticed was the connection line between my custom drawing component pin and existing database component pin was awkward in the schematic diagram. The connection line was not uniform in schematic diagram, somewhat distorted. The software has Automatic connection line build-up feature. but I had to manually connect between two points. I found that the arbitrary pin spacing among the multiple pin connection point was one of the reason for distortion of connection line. I attached a sample picture for ease of understanding.
Thank you :)

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
My apology. I saw your comment about "any other electrical" component and assumed incorrectly you were making PCB's for electronics. I understand your need now for standardized symbols.

John