Standalone programmer for windows 7.

ron roberts

Joined May 7, 2008
I’ve probably asked this question before; I’m new to program and desperately need help on finding a standalone program for programming ATmega168 in basic that will run under windows 7. I haven’t a clue on what I need to get started I’ve downloaded loads of free programs for programming but don’t seem to be what I need, in other wards the programs I have downloaded seem to be for software programming for computer programs and not for microcontrollers.

A lot of the free programs don’t seem to run correctly on windows 7.

I’ve downloaded mikroC PRO for AVR but again having problems with it running on windows 7, also I find it a bit over the top for me.

AvrStudio 4 looks interesting but having problems fining a download link that works, loads of pagers that just go round in circles, even though I click on the download links for AvrStudio 4 it just go’s to another page with more links. Any help on a direct download link would be helpful.

What I’m looking for if possible is software that will let me type in my instructions in basic then compile it into something like an HEX file for loading up to the microcontroller.

I really don’t want any software that’s tied to a particular programmer or any software that demands I must include there info within my programs.

Please help.

Last edited:

oxydol010

Joined Jan 20, 2010
Ron, while I don't know of any programs you are looking for specifically if you have found one that you like or have used before, but are just having problems running it under Win 7 you can more then likely run that program using compatibility mode. I've done it a lot in Vista and a couple of times in 7. For the most part the programs I had to run in Vista that way, came out with newer versions so I don't have to do it much anymore. If you google for "compatibility mode windows 7" the first result from Seven Forums gives you a good tutorial and the third or fourth one is about compatibility mode in Vista from the Microsoft website, but still applicable since it hasn't changed much in 7. Hope this might help a little.

ron roberts

Joined May 7, 2008
Yes you are correct but some programs won’t even load up, windows 7 rejects them and won’t allow them to load so i can't run them under anything. But thanks