1. We will be in Read Only mode (no new threads, replies, registration) starting at 9:00 EDT for a number of hours as we migrate the forums to upgraded software.

SSR acceptable for 32A AC load?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Crispin, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Crispin

Thread Starter Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Hi Folks,

I have two 11pin relays acting as change-over relay to change between inverter and grid as a 230V source for some of the mains rings in my house.
    The relays are a bit slow and cause some equipment to get upset on switching. I was wondering if SSR would help out.
    Some issues I am wondering about are:
    - Will the sine wave still be clean or will there be any choppiness to it that might annoy some equipment?
    - Will it only truly switch off as the voltage crosses zero? This would be catastrophic as I would have two, out of phase sine waves bumping into each other as the one is still on and the other has just turned on.
    - The interlock (electrical) safety between the two relays becomes software / additional hardware controlled now. (not loving that)
    My current solution is to get a few very small in-plug UPSs like this[​IMG] on the problem stuff which will soften the change over. It’s not the cleanest but serves a dual purpose so not totally against it. Just wondering if I can make it “cooler” with SSRs.

Said change-over will happen very seldom as it is a fail-back for then the invertor batteries are empty.
    (see attached for basic – what I am talking about)

Thanks,

Cheers,
    Crispin