SR flip-flop

GTeclips

Joined Feb 18, 2012
Hey guys, sorry to bug you with yet another probably simple question.

I have a little breadboard project I'm working on, and I need just one SR flip-flop. I searched Radio Shack, but all I found were Dual-D flip-flops and more complex IC's. Does anyone know of any good, reliable Single SR flip-flops dip IC's that would be relatively inexpensive and easy to obtain?

Again, sorry to bother you guys with this simple question, Thanks for the view!

GTeclips

Joined Feb 18, 2012
I suppose that would work. If this was to be the case, I would need to know of a dual nand dip IC (I already know of quad nand dip IC, but my circuits is low on space and I need as many open grooves as possible). Thank you for the idea!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
They don't come in duals AFAIK. Typically quads, and now a days singles in microscopically small SMD packages.

RS may well have them.

GTeclips

Joined Feb 18, 2012
Okay, thank you. I personally prefer TTL over CMOS. Another question I was wondering, (sorry if you already answered this) instead of using 2 nand gates to make an SR, could you just use 2 not gates?

EDIT: And could you also use 3 not gates to make a pulse generator?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
1) It is possible to use two NOT gates to make an S-R flip-flop, depending on what you are using to generate the S and R. You will have to show your circuit.

2) You can use three NOT gates to make an oscillator. You can also do it with a single Schmitt trigger NOT gate. You can substitute a 74LS14 hex Schmitt trigger inverters for regular 74LS04 inverters.

GTeclips

Joined Feb 18, 2012
Thanks for the chip number Ron!

MrChip, I'm trying to upload my diagram, but I'm having trouble uploading it my usual way (photo bucket). Are there any other ways?

GTeclips

Joined Feb 18, 2012
Sorry that this isn't a real diagramming software, its a logic simulator, but its the best I have.

TOP: SR flip-flop
BOTTOM: Oscillator

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Here is a simple oscillator using a single 74LS14 Schmitt trigger inverter.
I will provide component values later after I get a chance to test it on a breadboard.

GTeclips

Joined Feb 18, 2012
Thank you MrChips, I'm trying to make an SR flip-flop using a NTE 74C04 TTL 14 dip hex inverter IC, but I believe I am wiring it incorrectly because it will not function properly.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Here is a working circuit for an oscillator from a single 74LS14 inverter.
The second inverter is there only to drive the LED.
The RC values will give a frequency that is visible on the LED. You may change R and C to suit. Typical range for R is 100 to 4700 ohms.

GTeclips

Joined Feb 18, 2012
I see how that works, but I'm a little frustrated that it won't work with the 74C04, what is the major diffrence bettween the 74C04 and the 74LS04, because I already have a 74C04, and I only want to get additional chips if necessary? (BTW I'm talking about the SR flip-flop.)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
When one push button is pressed and held pressed, does the corresponding LED come on?

What happens when you release the push button?