Square D Sorgel Transformer Wiring Help Needed

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
What your electician may or may not have seen before is not relevant. One thing that has been drummed into me since the first year of my electrical apprenticeship:
Always Follow the Manufacturer's Instructions!!!!!!!

mechona

Joined Jan 25, 2007
Before I follow the manufacturer's directions, let me preface, that this is the 3rd set of how to wire that they are giving me.

So, the manufacturer is NOT ALWAYS RIGHT! or at least in my case.

I had burned 2 sets of fuses already following their directions, so I hope you understand why I am not too confident to follow their directions a third time.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Have you advised Square D of these burned fuses, and of the changing instructions? I suggest asking to speak to someone higher up the food chain in their tech assist department. They made the thing, somebody there has to know how it works.

Also - if you document their instructions, and that you have followed them - it don't matter if they're right or not. They're liable and you are off the hook!

wireaddict

Joined Nov 1, 2006
The wiring instructions look pretty clear. If you've followed the Square D's instructions & it keeps blowing fuses, the tranny may well be defective. Check for the obvious things like grounds [unhook pri & sec leads & check for leakage between ground & the primary & secondary terminals with an ohm meter or preferably a megger; either way you should get a minimum reading in the hundreds of megohms]. Also, compare the resistances of all 3 primary windings with each other, ditto for the secondary windings. If all this looks OK then a winding could be phased wrong [there's no easy way to check for this & it's even harder to explain how via correspondance]. Any of these conditions mean the tranny's defective.

mechona

Joined Jan 25, 2007
Well, I spoke to Square D again, and it works now. The diagram they sent me was right. I overlooked the right center left notations in the wiring diagram concerning which coil was which.