SPR 2800 Elephant II Eprom Programmer

docred

Joined Dec 4, 2010
Hi all - I was hoping someone might have some advice and/or documentation for the following. Its what would be considered a vintage piece of equipment :)

I recently inherited the titled Eprom programmer from a friend, along with a couple bags of various PROMS and EPROMS and an eraser. The unit is stamped 1987, produced by Sherrex Systems who I believe operated out of Edmonton, Alberta. There is a 28 pin PROM slot, a personality module slot (several chip personalities included) along with the serial port and six pushbuttons that include the usual commands such as reset, load, dump, etc.

I can't seem to find any info on this unit on the net, and was hoping someone might have either used one in the past or (a stroke of luck) have some documentation they might be able to share. Failing that, would someone have any advice on what generic software tools I could use with this unit, if any?

As I am new to the forum, a bit about me and why I am playing about with this unit - I live in Saskatchewan, Canada, work in the I.T/Broadcast Engineering field, and collect vintage computers and associated equipment (much to my wife's dismay and my little boys delight...). I enjoy interfacing with and using my old systems, and do a bit of work with picaxes when I have time, but am always interested in delving into the 'earlier' phases of any of the technology we work with.

If anyone has any thoughts, advice, or info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

docred

Joined Dec 4, 2010
Just for interests sake I thought I would post further - Sherrex systems still existed in a sense as a subsidiary of another company, but does not produce anything like the eprom programmers anymore. I called the office of the parent company on the long chance that someone might have some archives available. Luckily enough, they did. I have the basic manual for the unit in PDF format. If anyone wanted the info for any reason, just let me know (I don't expect this to be the case, lol)

Thanks all for reading.