Splice ACDC

myqwerty26

Joined Apr 26, 2014
I’m trying to splice a TFT color monitor to an AC/DC adapter to use it with house current. I peeled the plastic off all the cables. The TFT has 3 cables: black, red, and green. Cutting the end opposite the 3-prong AC/DC connector, there's a group of silver-like, hair-thin cables. Some are outside of under a black plastic sheath, others are inside yet another (white) plastic sheath. How do I put them together?
By now anyone can guess - I know nothing about the subjects discussed here. As a matter of background info, I’m a sewing machine quilter who will use this TFT and the accompanying camera to view the sewing stitches under a quilting frame. When sewing on the frame, I can see whether the sewing machine is making “birds’ nests” on the bottom of the quilt. The monitor is very convenient because it is inexpensive, lightweight, and small and I can attach it to the top of the sewing machine while the camera is at the bottom. This is the sewing machine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HLD-n__g3Q
These are the monitor and the camera:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Monitor-Waterproof-Camera-combo/dp/B005C76ZXC/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1395000919&sr=1-9&keywords=backup+camera
Would someone please help me? How do I put these cables together? Thank you.
These are the cables in question:

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
It appears from the second pic that the white wire is 12V +ve and the screen wires surrounding it are the -ve connection. Apart from that the links do not give enough information regarding which wire goes where :(

myqwerty26

Joined Apr 26, 2014
Exactly my sentiment. Question is, how do you splice an automobile current artifact to house current using an AC/DC adapter. Do I just cover the green wire with tape as something I don't need to worry about? Then connect the black and the green wires to the hair like set of wires. I was thinking of connecting the white encased hair-like cables to the red (TFT) wire and the black encased cables to the black wire.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Could you post a picture of the other end of that red-green-black cable? I mean the end that's been cut off? It might help diagnose which is which. If you have a meter (they're cheap or free), you could even check the voltages on those wires.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have little to add except that the third wire of the "TFT" might be a redundant ground or it might be for a "run" command. There lies your problem, what's the third wire for? Can you check the ohms from each of the wires to some metal part of the TFT? That might tell us if one or 2 of the wires is supposed to be "ground".

The DC adapter cable is simple enough to figure out. It has labels! and Alec covered that part.

myqwerty26

Joined Apr 26, 2014
The other end of the black, red, green cable is attached to the TFT monitor. Here are photos. That's the monitor with the cable which on one end is the monitor itself and the other end are the black red, green cables.
I don't have any tools to measure the ohms.

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I think your best bet is to contact the supplier or manufacturer and try to get connection info out of them. Or, if the TFT has a make/model identifier on it try googling for a datasheet.

myqwerty26

Joined Apr 26, 2014
One of the kids at the Automotive Geek Squad did the splicing for me. He didn't want to charge me, but I gave him a $10 tip. It works very well. Thank you for trying to help me.

Happy Thoughts!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It might be time to go to Harbor Freight and get a digital meter for less than $10.
FWIW, they're free this month, if you have the right coupon. I've started giving them to any friends for whom I may ever help with an electrical project. No need to carry a meter to the job if there's already one waiting everywhere I go. :p

myqwerty26

Joined Apr 26, 2014
I don't understand what he did, because, like I said, I don't know anything about circuits, electricity or anything like that. I just knew that you couldn't connect car current artifacts into the house current without an adapter. You cannot see what he did with the black and the red cables because they are covered with tape and with a white plastic thingy, but you can see that the green isn't connected to anything. All he did to the green cable is to cover it with a plastic cover.

While I appreciate your attempts to assist me, I can't help but notice that you could have asked me for this information without being flippant and sarcastic, young man. Get some manners.

Now I will attempt to cancel my membership/subscription from this group which, although is interesting, I have too many other things on my plate with the quilting, sewing, knitting, crochetting, and taking care of my old man to learn more stuff. Good night and happy thoughts.