Spinning dancer

Zerotolerance

Joined Sep 18, 2011
No doubt about it that she's spinning clockwise. Creativity or not, I find it to be common sense :p lol. and I am definitely left brained so I think this is garbage.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
The interpretation may be garbage, but it does appear to spin opposite after a while.

So far all the initial looks are CW.

My neighbor lady took 10 seconds to see a reversal.

I can't stop looking.:D

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I had given this a shot in the past. I never managed to change the rotation direction; she always spins CCW, looking from above, for me.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The optical illusion is intriguing. It is what makes it so fascinating. It is like you are feeling the circuits in your minds fighting over it.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Is that thing worth all the fuss?

Had you the real dancer in front of you, would you be confused? Almost never.
Yes it definitely is worth the fuss. So much of what we see is only what we think we see. For example, you cannot see anything you are directly looking at: that's a well known hole in your retina. But your brain fills in that little detail for you.

Here you get to play with the workings of some of your hardware.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
12 rotations CW...12 rotations CCW. Then repeats.

Speaks more to the time it takes someone to decide. Apparently I made the decision quickly when it started in the CW mode.

Last edited:

Mickster

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Initially, the dancer always starts off CCW, but sometimes changes rotation when I look away from the screen then back again. I've tried to focus on a particular point, such as the thigh on one leg, or the toes on the other, the head, hands etc.
There's no discernable pattern which I can attribute to a change in direction, but the shadow on the floor does seem to have an influence if I make a conscious effort to take notice of it.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
If I cross my eyes and slightly blur the image I can get her to be going both ways at once.

One eye she goes CW the other she goes CCW.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I found that I can change directions by watching the shadow meet the pivot foot and kicking foot shadow left or right.

There is only one true direction, as she pivots on left or right foot.

One direction here feet are backwards. (big toe)